Soviet big shots

Number one son (George H.Y. Schmitt) very pleased with big stuff; Soviet 240mm artillery rocket and 160mm Mortar shell.

He is now 26 years old and a professional writer with a degree in Japanese AND no interest in ammunition. Blah !

Now that’s ammunition art!

That rocket round is massive! Is the part bellow the driving band the “Rocket Part”? It looks up to your son’s waist. Interesting fuze also. I like the empty shell cases also.

The entire shell is rocket motor and warhead. A very heavy collectable. The Soviets loved big shells. I will put up more. The empties are Soviet 100mm Tank shells.

Very cool! I wonder how the range performance is increased compaired to other non-rocket assisted 240MM projectiles fired from the same gun? Looking forward to additional pics of big Soviet shells when you have the time.

The designatin of the rocket is M-24F. It was used for the 240mm BM-24 MLRS.
Mass of the rocket is 112kg, the warhead contains 26kg TNT

The designation of the fuze is V-25. It’s an all-way action impact fuze, with selectable delay.

Regards,
Vince

This is an artillery rocket NOT a rocket assisted gun projectile. It is fired from a launcher not a gun.

So you like the big toys ?

Here I am, younger and dumber, when I did such things congratulating my old buddy Pat Burns of Akron Ohio ( WOW look at all that black hair!) after having mastered draging a Soviet 240mm Mortar shell up a long flight of steps. In front on the ground you may be able to make out a typical Soviet 82mm mortar shell for comparison.

THIS BABY IS HEAVY !

Various clients have noted that I have the most famous hands in the ordnance world as in many of my video auction catalogues only my hands are visible showing the various aspects of the specimen being described.

Behind is “The Kaiser” a classic from my Volkswagen collection. You check the gas in this fellow with a graduated stick! Good old days.

OMG! That is massive! That the biggest mortar I have ever seen. WOW! I would hate to be the loader for that mortar.

Thanks, strakv, for the great diagrams!

Here the 240mm Mortar in action:
youtube.com/watch?v=ACMcOE_L … ted&search

Switch on the sound and note the bell like sound.

There is also a “rocket assisted” projectile which is basically a 240mm 3 meter long rocket with folding fins with HE or cluster warhead.
Also a guided round exists for it.
I think there is also a nuke round for it.

Jason, laoding is automated.

For those who have already viewed the 240mm shot, you might want to check it out again. I have lightened the image so you can see it better.

That video is fantastic! Thanks so much EOD! So detailed, I feel I could almost be a good shot with it. Good think it has a autoloader. The bell-sound is great. I am sure CSA’s artifact is super rare. Definitely the biggest mortar I have ever seen.

Thanks Ron!

[quote=“EOD”]Here the 240mm Mortar in action:
youtube.com/watch?v=ACMcOE_L … ted&search

Switch on the sound and note the bell like sound.

There is also a “rocket assisted” projectile which is basically a 240mm 3 meter long rocket with folding fins with HE or cluster warhead.
Also a guided round exists for it.
I think there is also a nuke round for it.

Jason, laoding is automated.[/quote]

Fantastic video. NOBODY does mortars like the Russians, NOBODY !

So you guys think this is the biggest mortar round? Check out this:
420mm 2B1 “Oka” mortar at the Central Artillery Museum in St.Petersburg

Regards,
Vince

[quote=“strakv”]So you guys think this is the biggest mortar round?

Regards,
Vince[/quote]

I did not :)

WOW! that’s extreme!

There is another one of these in the 300mm+ range. Does anyone has a photo of that and its shell ?

Here the 240mm guided round: