Soviet guns and ammunition 12.7-57mm

You may have noticed Christian Koll’s advert in the “Buy/Sell/Trade” section for his new book on Soviet guns and ammunition 12.7-57mm.

I helped with proof-reading the draft text but have now received a published copy and it is simply amazing. It will instantly become the definitive reference on this subject and is lavishly illustrated in (almost) full colour throughout. Not just guns and ammo but ammo packaging, markings, factories, belt links and chargers. This is a must-have for any ammunition collector interested in these calibres.

Details, sample pages etc are on the author’s website at russianammo.org/

Hi Tony,

I receive my copy yesterday.
The book contains very interesting and usefully information.
This book is a must-have for any ammo collectors around the world specialized in 12,7 to 57mm caliber range ammo from Russia and East-European origin.

Regards, Rob

I will have some books for sale at the SLICS show
please send a pm for order this great book !!!

regards
gyrojet

Hey gyrojet

What’s the price?

• I received yesterday the volume “Soviet Cannon” from Austria, directly from Christian Koll. This volume is a MUST for any serious cartridge collector and historian who is interested in Soviet / Russian weapons and ammunition. I highly recommend this volume to all the IAA members. Liviu 04/25/09

A question for anyone who has this book; does it cover the operation of the YaKB Gatling-style rotary cannon? I’ve read that it uses a blank cartridge to begin the firing cycle, but have no idea how it accomplishes this, and does it require a new blank each time it fires a burst, or just to “arm” once the helicopter is airborne?

IIRC once operational, it uses a heavy spring which is wound automatically every time the gun ceases fire, on last 2 or so rounds in burst

IIRC once operational, it uses a heavy spring which is wound automatically every time the gun ceases fire, on last 2 or so rounds in burst[/quote]
Your memory is correct, Max! The spring starts the barrels rotating at the beginning of each burst. There are also some special blank cartridges (three can be carried) presumably to start the first burst of a mission if the spring isn’t pre-wound, and to restart if there are any misfires.

Thanks for the info; this book is definitely on my “must-buy” list :-)

Got my signed copy in the mail today. A super addition to my book collection. Chock full of details, color photos and drawings. The CD includes nearly 300 pages of cutaway/sectioned rounds.

Highly recommended.