Soviet underwater rifle being fired

I wonder if it would be more efficient in creating a larger cavitation bubble if the tip was slightly concave?

Jason

There is an US Navy experimental effort which mounts a 30x173mm Mk 44 (ATK’s Bushmaster II) in the doorway of a Seahawk helicopter. The chopper is set with devices to detect underwater sea mines, and then the Mk 44 is used to shoot any mines that are found. It is called the Rapid Airborne Mine Clearance System (RAMICS). The ammunition is the Mk 258 Mod 1 APFSDS-T, which reportedly uses a supercavitating projectile.

[quote=“Yuri Bushin”]Hi, Jason!
Cavitation is not simple effect (otherwise why US spies hunted for Shkval?) air.[/quote]

The US took a shortcut now and work together with the German military. The German projectile for under water cannons - actually a torpedo has a caliber of 100mm and is guided which has not been achieved so far weateher by the US nor by Russia.

In large supercavitating projectiles the “bubble” is created by a gas generator inside the projectile since the bigger the projectile the more difficult it is to get the bubble in a stable state.

Definitely one of the coolest specialized ammunition engineering if you ask me. I heard the projectiles are effective at surprisingly deep depths. Really a interesting round and design concept. Blown away!

Jason

EOD, it seems the US & Germany work together on so many ammunition and armament projects. In researching 120MM tank ammunition, I have found many collaborative efforts between our 2 Countries which is so cool. Even our M1A1 MBT uses the German made M256 gun, same as used on their Leopard Tanks. I can totally see the US and Germany adopting & improving upon each other’s designs. Needless to say, this air to underwater APFSDS round is definitely one of the neatest in both concept, function and form that I have seen. About as special purpose as you can get with the exception of some of the WW2 anti-balloon projectiles, in my opinion.

Jason