Spanish CETME/NATO cartridges

With help of a local vet, I’ve been experimenting with X-raying cartridges. The results so far have been much better than either of us expected. It’s also raised some interesting questions. We x-rayed a number of Spanish CETME rounds expecting to be able to see the two piece core which was clearly visible (see below). However, a second cartridge showed a homogeneous core. This cartidge had a more conventional bullet shape, weighed 19.4g (compared to the other CETME rounds that weighed 19-19.6g) and had a core that by x-ray appeared less dense than the lead core of the standard CETME rounds (this difference doesn’t show up on the posted image). The weight range for Spanish lead cored NATO rounds is 23.6-24.1g (based on my collection) suggesting that the core of the round in question is not lead. I’be been unable to find a cartridge fitting this description in any of the Spanish cartridge references. Any help would be appriciated as I don’t have a spare to section.

Top Representative CETME cartridge hs P 7.6 62 Br cs and pr Gm bullet
Bottom CETME?? hs P 7.6 60 Br cs and pr GM bullet

Thanks to Dr C for his time and use of his x-ray equipment

Attached is a photo of a CETME section I obtained from R. Geer’s collection…I’m not sure if this was a demo/proto of some kind or a section of a working cartridge. The bullet core appears to be similar to your top X-ray cartridge. Headstamp reads P 58 76 …markings on the section read “7.62x51 CETME, CSP-003, MOD. 1957” and “made by Carlos G.L.”.

The core of my cartridge appears to be a steel-jacketed rear lead core, with a synthetic forward core. I got some photocopies of factory lit with this cartridge…I’ll try and dig it up and post any good info.

[/img]

This is a service ball cartridge. The CSP-003 light ball round was in use just before Spain changed to a full Nato load, although there were many experimental rounds in between.
CSP refers to the bullet type and means Cobre-Sint

The cartridge described in my original posting does not attract a magnet and so is not the iron cored bullet mentioned above. Since taking the x-rays, I have found a duplicate of the unknown cored bullet - I will post pictures once I have it sectioned.

Dave S

The cartridge described in my original posting does not attract a magnet and so is not the iron cored bullet mentioned above. Since taking the x-rays, I have found a duplicate of the unknown cored bullet - I will post pictures once I have it sectioned.

Dave S[/quote]

While waiting for your pictures, here is a box of the CH-003 experimental rounds plus three sectioned CETME bullets. These bullets were designed at CETME but, apart from very small pilot lots, were loaded at Palencia, Toledo or Sevilla.

The bullets are, from left to right:

CSP-003, production ball, 7,25 gram, Cobre-Sint

Excuse my ignorance but what is “synthetic lead”?

Gourd

[quote=“gamgjm”]Excuse my ignorance but what is “synthetic lead”?

Gourd[/quote]

It’s not synthetic lead, but synthetic-lead. In fact, copper-synthetic-lead, three different components. Synthetic is the word they used to say plastic.