Spanish gun made in 1490 (WNY)

Old even by European standards…

Cool! One of the early breech loading types which used a “beer mug” type chamber.

sksvlad:

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS IMAGE! - I LOVE CANNONS - OWN SEVERAL MYSELF - I USED TO SET THEM OFF (BLANK LOADS) ON HOLIDAYS LIKE THE 4TH OF JULY, NEWS YEARS, ETC. - 4 OF MY NEIGHBORS ARE EITHER SHERIFF’S DUPTIES OR LOCAL POLICE OFFICERS SO THEY ARE RERELY FIRED ANYMORE.

THE ARM IS MISSING 2 VERY IMPORTANT ITEMS THAT WOULD BE REQUIRED TO FIRE IT. A TANKARD LOOKING PIECE WOULD HAVE BEEN FILLED WITH GUNPOWDER AND SHOT AND DROPPED INTO THE LARGE OPENING AT THE BREECH END OF THE CANNON. THEN A WEDGE WOULD HAVE BEEN DRIVEN THROUGH THE SLOTS LOCATED ON THE SIDES OF THE BREECH TO FORCE THE CHARGER AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE AGAINST THE FACE OF THE BREECH. THE ARM COULD THEN BE FIRED BY TOUCHING A HOT METAL POKER OR PUNK INTO THE FLASH HOLE OPENING OF THE BREECH PIECE.

I WONDER IF THE MUSEUM HIS THE MISSING PIECES - SINCE THE CANNON IS DISPLAYED IN THE OPEN I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD NOT BE ON DISPLAY.

Very interesting. So a 350 year-old gun was still in combat use in the 1840s. It is surprising that the breech block had not been lost over that time.