Spanish language labeling?

In the United States market, dual language labeling has been mandated by law, to one extent or another. I have seen some ammunition boxes with both languages(Spanish and English).

Can boxes be dated by this, like the childrens warning? Is the beginning date of this practice known?

(Please read entire thread before you draw any conclusions on my sanity.[18:30Z 12-20-10])

What law mandates the political nonsense of dual languages on American Cartridge Boxes? That’s a new one on me. Some of the old boxes that were exported in quantity to South America and Mexico (when they could have guns legally) had Spanish and English on them, and a lot of the boxes on ammo imported into the US from other countries has more than one language, but I don’t recall seeing many modern boxes from American makers with more than one language. Am I wrong, like I often am?

Dear JM,
I agree with you…and your not wrong here.

Here in Australia we get most of our Ammo from Remchester, and except for the odd packets which are also sold in Canada (English and French mandated), all US made ammo is English ONLY.
There is one exception, of course, which dates back the to the late 1800s ( “Marca Registrada”==Trade Mark Registered) is placed along with “TM” as an indication to Latin Countries that the Name is Registered in their countries as well. (ie, Pirates beware!).

S&W also has the Marca logo on all its Pistols as well ( due to the Rampant Spanish copying of the early part of the 1900s.).

Regards,
DocAV
AV Ballistics.

There might be a few towns and cities in the US who require dual languages on official items and signs, but I know of no state or federal laws to that effect, let alone required on packaging.

John, I may be incorrect about it being a law but I thought it was something passed a few years back because almost all packageing (US) today of consummer products has English and Spanish on it.
Here’s an example from the cartridge box world. Look at the lower right corner of each.

The top box dates back to no earlier than 1986 and the lower one is about 2007. The lower, Xpert, box is still in production. The Spanish language is used in other parts of the box too, mostly in warnings/cautions. Here’s a look at the side panel.

That is French.

Yes, some of the boxes have French language on the labels. These are products that sell well in Canada and require the French labeling under Canadian Laws.

I think CCI does the same.

Nothing to do with laws or even custom in the USA.

John M.

Geeze, do I feel stupid now! Guess this is proof that I have NO language skills!
Just forget I asked.
Lew you can delete this one with my blessings!

Many companies do that for marketing reasons, and to avoid litigation from non-English speakers who can’t read the warnings and instructions.