Special AP rounds

Does anyone know what the “special AP rounds” are they are using in this video?

shock.military.com/Shock/videos. … irforce.nl

Probably just API. The target looks rickety enough that any kind of projectiles would disintegrate it.

DKConfiguration–Maybe. I was thinking more like the Raufaus Multi-Purpose Explosive.

Ron, according to the Nammo site, 12.7mm is the smallest caliber in which Raufoss ammo is made.

nammo.com/templates/Technologies.aspx?id=131

Stanc–Yes, that is true. I could not tell what caliber was being fired. I am not very knowledgeable on the guns. I take it from your comment that the MG shown is a 7.62x51.

the caliber is 7.62x54R

Ron, the machine gun in the video is a 7.62x54R PKM.

Considering the size of the fireballs and the resulting damage to what looks like a BMP infantry vehicle hull, I have to wonder if somebody spliced video of the machine gun being fired, to that of target effects from a 30mm automatic cannon such as is on the BMP-3. Notice similarities to the 30mm gun fire @ 0:52-0:55 in youtube.com/watch?v=CjJzvwPLb84

IIRC, small-caliber incendiary bullets do little more destruction than producing a pencil-sized hole in steel, with any explosions resulting from flammables ignited by the incendiary flash.

Compare the difference in flash and vehicle damage done by the “special AP” bullets, to the much, much smaller effects of .50 caliber incendiary near the end this one: youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2JsGhrXwc