Speer/CCI Manufacturing Dates

Ever wonder when your Speer/CCI product was manufactured? Since 1995, on center-fire ammo, rimfire ammo, bullets, and primers the manufacture date is encoded in the first four places of the lot number, which is printed on or impressed into the box or packaging. The format is L##L where L is a letter and # is a number. Letters and/or numbers following these I haven’t figured out yet. The first letter is the month, January through December – A through M, respectively, skipping I, which looks like a 1/one. The numbers are 01 through 31 for the numerical date; single digit dates get a leading zero. The second letter is the year, 1995 through 2008 – A through P, respectively, skipping I and O (I looks like a 1/one, O looks like a 0/zero). Therefore, my Blazer 9mm Luger ammo lot number A09P1 was made on January 9th, 2008. My Speer 9mm Luger Gold Dot ammo lot number C12J33 was made on March 12th, 2003. My CCI Large Pistol primers lot number H14M was made on August 14, 2006. And my Independence-brand 9mm Luger ammo lot number C12N3 was made by Speer/CCI on March 12th, 2007. My Blazer rimfire ammo lot L08NQ3 was made on November 8th, 2007.
Check out the lot numbers in Speer’s 2002 ammunition recall notice and you’ll see the pattern.

Do you have a link for the recall notice?

130.94.182.159/recalls.htm (click on the 1 following Speer under the topic Ammunition)
Basically it says:
Letters in lot code indicate month and year of production. Recall period is from Sept. 25th, 2001 to March 31st, 2002. Lot numbers with the sequence of letters shown below are part of the recall.

J26Gxx to J30Gxx (September 2001)
K01Gxx to K31Gxx (October 2001)
L01Gxx to L30Gxx (November 2001)
M01Gxx to M31Gxx (December 2001)

A01Hxx to A31Hxx (January 2002)
B01Hxx to B28Hxx (February 2002)
C01Hxx to C01Hxx (March 2002)

d’

You seem to have an interest in lot numbers (as do others on the Forum) so let me ask a question:

Why don’t maufacturers simply use m/d/y instead of a secret code?

Anyone familiar with Remington M700 actions knows how to break the code to determine the date a rifle was manufactured so why don’t they simply stamp the m/d/y on the barrel instead of the silly letters and numbers?

Just curious. Nothing serious. The ball games do not start for another hour.

Ray

Ray - one reason for not just using a date on commercial ammunition lot numbers is the same reason commercial ammunition is not often dated on the headstamp. Many people have a totally wrong idea about the shelf life of ammunition. Most of us know that the shelf life of a major portion of small arms ammunition from “good makers”, when properly stored, is decades, not days, months or years. The average guy buying a box of .30-30s for his annual hunt doesn’t. If ammo was dated like milk cartons, I guarantee you dealers would end up stocking damned little at a time, especially in calibers that don’t sell well. Customers who knew it was dated, and that would get around fast in the case of “plain to read” dates, would be refusing ammunition even 6 months old. saying they want “fresh stuff.” We had a very high turn over in ammo in our store, and stocked just about every U.S. claiber made, and plenty of foreign ones. But, there were calibers were we had two or three boxes and it took five or six years to sell them. With a plain date on the boxes, some of that would never have sold. Still, it was all perfectly good ammunition.

Certainly, they may be other reasons why the lot number codes are such a secret with some manufacturers. I don’t know. They generally won’t discuss lot numbers with you at all. A couple of reps broght the age factor to my attention, which I should have figured out for myself.