Spencer 56-50 with a folded neck crimp? S A W h/s

Hello If it hadn’t been pointed out to me I was thinking it was a neck fracture. Was this done for water tightness or???

Nobody wants to answer so I’ll give my guess and maybe it will encourage others to jump in.

I’ll say that it is a standard case that has crumpled at the neck because of the soft copper. I have seen very similar cases in both copper and brass, especially handloads. Either it snuck past the inspector or it was considered “good enough”. QC was a lot more lenient in those days.

According to Spencer hisself, the 56-52 Spencer was designed specifically because the 56-60 had too much crimp. Your cartridge would seen to validate his concern.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Nobody wants to answer so I’ll give my guess and maybe it will encourage others to jump in.

I’ll say that it is a standard case that has crumpled at the neck because of the soft copper. I have seen very similar cases in both copper and brass, especially handloads. Either it snuck past the inspector or it was considered “good enough”. QC was a lot more lenient in those days.

According to Spencer hisself, the 56-52 Spencer was designed specifically because the 56-60 had too much crimp. Your cartridge would seen to validate his concern.

Ray[/quote]
Thank you Ray. Was kinda wishing it was a rarity but you know how that wishing thing goes and again thanks, Tim

You can open the images Ray? I’m just getting a couple of little crosses with the word ‘image’ beside them.

I can not see any photos either…

Can you see me now?

Ray, you are a modern day Houdini! Lol. Thanks for the photos.

I now see what you are referring to, and it makes complete sense.

-Dave