Spencer bullet manufacturer and production date range id

Can anyone out there in ammo land help in identification of the manufacturer and production date range for this Spencer bullet

? It is a fired and recovered specimen with considerable impact damage that precludes definitive caliber determination but I’ve tentatively identified it as a 56/52. The pit in the base is the unusual feature and appears to be the most diagnostic aspect of the artifact. Any help (with reference citation, as usual) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Side view would be helpful

It looks as though this Spencer rimfire casing was put into a centerfire rifle and tried.
The center indentation looks fairly deep to be part of the case drawing process !
Is there an indented area on the extreme edge of the rim ? It is hard to tell from the photo.
M. Rea

[quote=“mdrea”]
It looks as though this Spencer rimfire casing was put into a centerfire rifle and tried.
The center indentation looks fairly deep to be part of the case drawing process !
Is there an indented area on the extreme edge of the rim ? It is hard to tell from the photo.
M. Rea[/quote]
I think (always a problem when I do that) that he’s saying this is just the bullet, not a complete round.
Ejector pin from the swedging die?

arch

The base of your bullet is typical of most large swaged bullets of the period. The “indentation” is from the punch used to swage the bullet and, combined with final trimming, is there to fine tune the weight without changing the final form. The raised edge is also typical. Nothing at all uncommon here.

Identifying fired bullets, especially those that are damaged by impact, is not easy. Your best bet would be a close examination of the rifleing marks. A total remaining weight is also a good clue.

Forum members are always eager to help. For your part, it would be helpful if you’d share more details of what your research is and exactly what and why you are trying to determine.

JMHO

Ray

[quote=“Tailgunner”][quote=“mdrea”]
M. Rea[/quote]
I think (always a problem when I do that) that he’s saying this is just the bullet, not a complete round.
Ejector pin from the swedging die?[/quote]
Boy ! Am I slipping !, I thought I was looking at a case ! Sorry about that ! M. Rea