Ssectioned VT Proximity Fuze? & 8 inch nuclear projectile

Talking with the curator at the U.S. Army’s field artillery museum at Fort Sill last week, he noted that they would really like to get a sectioned VT (Proximity) fuze to add to their displays.

Does anyone have one they would be willing to donate (or I could purchase for donation) to this museum? USN or Army type would work, WW2 era preferred but any period would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone interested in artillery from a French 6 pounder Swiss Guards cannon to the 280mm “Atomic Annie” and many missile or rocket type weapons systems really should visit. It is on base and unless you have military ID you have to get a visitor pass. A nuisance but well worth it.

They are superb in their coverage of U.S. and many foreign artillery pieces including related support equipment from the Revolutionary War to present, but really weak in the ammunition area, although they do have a nicely sectioned 155mm nuclear projectile on display.

They also have a small amount of ammo not on display yet, but it is in a building which the bureaucrats have kept locked up fearing asbestos contamination, and still refuse to allow entry even after no asbestos was found.

John, is there a photo available of that 155mm nuke cutaway?

I do not have a photo, but will try to get one.

Great, thanks!

John, any success in taking pics of that 155mm?

Sorry, I did not take any during my visit, and it is unlikely I will get back to that museum again, but maybe someone else can. It is a great museum!

Back to the original subject, they sure would like a sectioned VT Proximity fuze, I was hoping someone here would be able to locate one for them.

John, As I read your post I realized that I have no idea what a “VT Proximity Fuze” looks like, sectioned drawing from an ordnance handbook or whole. What projectiles were these used on, and calibers? I have several old fuzes, a couple sectioned, but no idea as to type. None have any electronics, which I assume any proximity fuze must have. A picture and/or description, please, so we can know what we are looking for.

Sorry, I have no photo. But a VT needs a much(!) larger cylindrical fuze cavity in the projectile to allow for the transmitter/receiver electronics. You will immediately recognize one when you see it.
Some projectiles had removable HE fillers to make them usable with both, VT and conventional fuzes.

Mel, here some examples:

Since proximity/ VT fuzes were a breakthrough in the ability to bring down aircraft, I can understand Mel’s aversion to the topic…;-)
An example previously posted by the late Ray Maketa:

Not to forget that VT fuzes are not only used in artillery but also other ordnance.

EOD and John, Thanks for the link and pic. Now I know what I’m looking for. Wonder what “VT” stands for.

“Variable Time” :-)

Everybody calls them “variable time” now, a usage originally to distinguish them from the mechanical time (clockwork) fuzes. But, originally it was for “vacuum tube” to indicate the technology used.

In the 1960s fuzes were developed using infrared proximity to activate them and they are generally called “VT-IR” to distinguish them from the original type VT fuzes.

The Ft. Sill museum is still looking for a sectioned VT proximity fuze. Either a donation from a kind and generous owner, or a source where a benefactor can buy one and donate.

I was able to get some photos of their nuclear projectile. I thought it was 155mm, but it is actually the 8 inch M753 projectile.