St Louis 1943 Pink Tipped Tracer

I was asked about the box of pink tipped tracer I purchased, so I thought I’d post some pics if anyone is interested…

The box was open, and missing 2 rounds…I removed two others for display, and replaced the 4 with later LC balls, just to fill the box. Then I re-sealed it.

For some reason, I haven’t been able to find a striped box of tracer anywhere locally, so I am glad to be able to add these to the box collection…the pink tips are just icing!

Sorry the headstamp pic is pretty lousy…

I have found no official reasons for some of the SL 43 tracer rounds having the pink tips. They are not uncommon and do not appear to be the result of storage conditions.

I did section a couple of these some time ago. The only difference between these and earlier M1 Tracers from the same facility that I could SEE was that the inside of the bullet jacket has a series of notches (presumably to hold the lead core in place). Previous year’s production (with “normal” red tips) did not have these notches.

The other theory is that there was a paint tint error which was accepted due to the war-time urgency. However, I think this unlikely.

I did not check chemical composition of the primer/powder as I don’t have the equipment or expertise in that area. I also stress that I have seen nothing that would confirm the reason for the pink bullet tips so anything expressed here is simply guesswork.

Chris P.

Hi Chris,

guess who was asking :o)

PZJGR,
Thx a lot for the pictures. I will add them to my files.
Pls let me know per PM about the rest.

cheers
Ren

[quote=“Flying Dutchman”]Hi Chris,

guess who was asking :o)

PZJGR,
Thx a lot for the pictures. I will add them to my files.
Pls let me know per PM about the rest.

cheers
Ren