St Louis, here they come

Most of the big kids will be leaving for St Louis in the next couple of days, leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves. In the past we have used this as an opportunity to discuss some of the more obscure aspects of cartridge collecting, tell a few sea stories, and even an off topic here and there. But now with the rules against such things being enforced to the letter (resulting in the loss of a couple of regulars), do we dare?? Should we test it? I’m already on probation so it’ll be up to somebody else to start. Will this thread itself be deleted?

Ray

Has anyone really been “lost” for that? Unfortunately I’m not there this year (stupid family stuff), so I’ll be happy to engage in any vaguely cartridge-related banter.

Shirley shome mistake, don’t you mean “cartridge related bunter” ?

I don’t think anyone has been lost to forum rule enforcement, but I know a handful of collectors who used to post have not come back since the forum was down and then re-created. I used to enjoy Philippe Regenstreif chiming in, but I haven’t heard from him since the new forum has been up.

Dk–Philippe Regenstreif is indeed on the new Forum. He is just hiding under a new Forum name. So, don’t say anything bad about him. He is reading and occasionally responding.

Ray–Don’t stray TOO far off topic. I’m going to SLICS, but I’m taking my computer along and will be checking out the Forum each evening. I’LL BE WATCHING YOU!!!

You must be rich! I was shocked…shocked to hear what they wanted for wireless…at that CARTRIDGE-RELATED venue. I made great use of the computer in the lobby.

Ron
You do know that internet at the Renaissance hotel is $12 a day, don’t you?

OK, it is Sunday, and I am already in St.Louis, even though about 10 miles away from SLICS hotel. That is because I am a “little fish” even though my actual size says the contrary. I am willing to put a special virus into Ron’s computer so the computer will convert all your “banter” into Shakespearian English. Kind of like putting a still photo in front of a security camera in “Mission Impossible”. I shall also accept ammunition in lieu of money. Make me an offer.

Ron

I intend to be good. It’s those other guys you have to worry about. I’ll make you an offer. Give me $6 a day and I’ll watch everyone for you, with a full report upon your return. That’s a win-win. You can enjoy the show and I make enough to buy a couple of new cartridges, such as some Cal .30 NM (cartridge related). I already have a couple of names for you.

Ray :) :)

By the way, daily parking at the hotel is $10, all Drury Inns have free parking, free food, free phone and free internet.

Everybody–I did not know the Hotel charged for Internet. But, I am sure there most likely is a free wireless within range, such as at Denny’s across the street. If not, then I guess all you miscreants will be running the asylum.

Actually, the main reason or taking my computer is to have my Collection Catalog available, not to watch over you unlucky people that have to stay home. And If I can get a FREE connection, the main reason will be to give access to any new people so they don’t have to wait for a week. I normally grant access within minutes or at most a few hours when I am home. We average about 6-8 new people per week.

I was just thinking…

With all this modern technology at hand, perhaps we could have some form of “live streaming feed” from SLICS capturing some of the presentation highlights, best display awards (and the auctions for sure) And maybe a cool high end deal or trade or two from the floor…something like “Antique Roadshow” or “Pawn Stars” for cartridge collectors. A poor audio/video quality and jostled camera piece on an intense “In-Room” trade made with a secreted camera may be going too far, but would likely bring in the big sponsors to cover the overhead…

OK, I’ll dream on, but maybe there’ll be some nice pics of the event to populate a post show thread on the Forum?

And Ray,

You just might be on “Double Secret Probation” with the Forum administrators. I’m not sure what that means, but just sayin’…

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]I was just thinking…

With all this modern technology at hand, perhaps we could have some form of “live streaming feed” from SLICS capturing some of the presentation highlights, best display awards (and the auctions for sure) And maybe a cool high end deal or trade or two from the floor…something like “Antique Roadshow” or “Pawn Stars” for cartridge collectors. A poor audio/video quality and jostled camera piece on an intense “In-Room” trade made with a secreted camera may be going too far, but would likely bring in the big sponsors to cover the overhead…

OK, I’ll dream on, but maybe there’ll be some nice pics of the event to populate a post show thread on the Forum?

And Ray,

You just might be on “Double Secret Probation” with the Forum administrators. I’m not sure what that means, but just sayin’…

Dave[/quote]
I could probably stream it for you guys if you wanted. I am not sure I could get my equipment ready at such short notice though. I also have a aircard through Sprint that sends out a WiFi signal that you will all be more than welcome to connect to if you are within range and do not want to pay $12/day for internet.

I didn’t remember the internet being that expensive per day last year? I thought it was more like $9 per day… I will have my wife’s camera, and I will at least post photos of the interesting display tables at SLICS as well as a full-show wide-shot image here on the forum.

“Drury Inns have free parking, free food, free phone and free internet”

Free food…what a boon to hungry CARTRIDGE collectors!

A streaming video would be great for:

1. a post over the check-in table to get a constant view of the room.
  2. viewing the IAA meeting and awards.
  3. viewing the lectures.
  4. viewing and/or participating in the auctions.
    Definitely not for the banquet…I’ve seen some of those guys eat! Although having video proof of Mora Rea eating a green bean would be priceless!

Ray, I got your back. I’ll be there Thursday morning and I just have a feeling Ron’s lap top might get attacked by fire ants! I’ll be on the lookout for that 416 Rigby/17 mm you wanted too.

Just curious, since I got an unfired “Rigby 416 Nitro K” headstamped round at Ohio show, is it rare too or this is an internal joke?

A 416 Rigby should not be particularly rare, the Nitro K I am not certain of but a 416 necked down to 17mm would be quite a wildcat. Indeed, it was meant to stimulate a response from Ray, Mr. Wildcat.

Huh? But 17mm is bigger than .416 inch.

jon, interesting ideas about streaming. it can be done. i am bring one of my laptops. i’ll see what goofiness i can come up with–maybe i’ll stream the evening talk. i planed on taking pics and posting daily. now do i bring the big lap top and big bag or the little laptop and put it in the maxpedition bag. decisions, decisions.