Stamps on case

These 9 mm seem Lapua, nothing extraordinary, I guess. But what about the 6 2? I doubt this can be the productionyear, but what else? And what about the stamps on the cases? Just something peculiar for Lapua or is there another meaning for?

[/URL]

[/URL]

This subject has been covered before. Some countries in Europe require certain information be on each cartridge sold there. Germany is one of them; I am not sure of other countries with this requirement. Therefore, as an example, this Finnish military surplus ammunition does not include the caliber in the headstamp, information often omitted on military headstamps. To sell the surplus ammunition in Germany or other countries with similar laws, they must stamp each individual cartridge with what ever required information is missing.

You often find examples of this ammunition, and the marks vary depending on what information was missing and who the seller is.

Rounds marked in this fashion are quite common.

This Finnish surplus ammunition was marketed by Frankonia in Germany. It was submitted to a proof house to be tested according to CIP standards and marked with the caliber in the case, a requirement when it is not indicated in the headstamp. The case is also marked with the “WFW” logo, which is a trademark of this company, standing for “Waffen-Frankonia Würzburg”.

Frankonia monogram:

Fede - thanks for the info on the monogram. I should have figured that one out myself. I visited the Waffen Frankonia (later renamed “Frankonia Jagd”) store in Würzburg in 1972. Nice store with nice people in the gun department.
Not too far from the store was a street that crossed a bridge on whatever river that runds through that city. On the other side, on top of a hill, was a Castle. Nice view. I later saw the same view from a very good movie about a young German Luftwaffe medic who is captured, and then is returned to Germany as an allied agent during WWII. Excellent movie and soon enough after the war, that the location filming had a very authentic look to it. The only gun and ammo thing I remember about it was that in a scene where “P-38” pistols are being shot, they were actually revolvers with metal parts added to make them look something like a Walther. I would guess there simply were no “blank-firing conversion” P-38s around, and maybe not even a lot of 9 mm blanks, to achieve the effect of repeat firing with an auto pistol.

John: The movie was Decision Before Dawn, and I thought it was very good too. Apropos of almost nothing, the only former member of the German armed forces in the second war I’ve ever met told me he’d been a technician assigned to a German Wuerzburg Riese radar unit. As the Google entry explains, the radar actually had no connection to the city for which it was named. Jack

Maybe I am just too dense, but what purpose does it serve to rubber stamp such on a casing? It can easily be removed for one thing and if you need to verify what caliber cartridge you have in hand, maybe you need a little more education before handling a firearm. Yes, I have seen 5,56x45mm and 7.62 NATO that was imported into the US with such stamped on them and I scratched my head then also.

Joe

I have a bunch of 7,62 x 54 mm R that’s manufactured in the USSR, but exported to Germany in repacked (?) boxes with German writing.
«7,62x54mmR s8t» is stamped onto the side of the main body of the case. Not entirely sure about the three last characters at the stamp is much stronger on its left side than right.
Headstamp is 188 79, 188 being the code for a a Novosibirsk, Russia, plant.

Here is their box:

• Ole

Joe, my friend. Don’t fight it. When was the last time you saw any of these gun and ammunition laws that made sense. No gun law ever passed in the USA can be proved to have reduced crime, gun accidents, or anything else, except occasionally the pocket books of innocent gun owners. Of course it makes no sense to mark cartridges like that. I guess they figure that you can read those (usually) poor stampings, but can’t read the box label.

Gun and ammunition laws are invariably prompted and passed by people who don’t know a thing about gun laws, don’t have one iota of understanding about the real causes of crime and accidents (teaching youngsters that they should never touch a gun so that when they grow up, the have no clue about safely handling one should the have to or decide they want to), and have little or no common sense about anything at all, especially questions of gun regulations and ownership.

Ole, those 7.62x54R cases are marked “sSe” and were tested at the Beschussamt Thüringen for Sabine Schneider in Springe, Germany.

Can you believe people in Belgium, decisionmakers of gun-laws, have plans to number each bullet?

Ole, the German language box from Russia came this way right from the factory. There are also similar boxes with French markings and if my memory does not betray me probably also Spanish.

I think Brazil is doing that already and plenyt of gun control fascists - in particluar in Europe - are tyring hard to force this issue too.
Technical implementation is ranging from lasered bar codes to RFID chips. And this on case and bullet! And of course all at the expense of the customer.
And of course neglecting the possibility of reloading. Unless they want to make that illegal too.
Supported is this control obsession by those developing and selling such systems and these people of course will never tell about the drawbacks of all this (kindly said).
The weird thing is that they are talking about export control and conflict zones but in the end it will only hit the civilian citizen in our countries. War lords in Africa and Arabic countries certainly will place orders without all the “smart inventions” and the notorious suppliers will of course deliver the ordered product - as it always was and will be.
And even criminals in our countries will take care of these gimmicks before they will use such ammo.

Thank you both for the info!
Appreciate the clear-up.

• Ole