Standard Cartridge Company, Pasadena, Calif

Does anyone have any documented information on the Standard Cartridge Company, of Pasadena, California? I have searched the internet (at which I am not very proficient) and found next to nothing. I am interested in the following, especially:

Span of existence of the company (seems to be from the second half of the 1940s, but would like to find more positive information).

Involvement of Gordon Ingram in the company (or not).

Actual length of time producing 9 mm Luger cartridges, the only ammunition product they seemed to ever market.

Any information about their work on the 8 mm Nambu cartridge

Any other miscellaneous information pertaining to Company History, such as any other individuals involved with it, size of the operation such as approximate number of employees, etc., any information about ammunition development, specimens, etc.

I currently have nine 9 mm Luger cartridges attributed to Standard Cartridge Company and one 8 mm Nambu round, unheadstamped, that is attributed to them and has all the characteristics of their early development, unheadstamped 9 mm cartridges. I also have a 9 mm Box, the only one I have ever seen, for the full-production 9 mm ammunition with the * SCC * 9mm LUGER headstamp.

Lew - I have all our correspondence on this from 2007, but have changed my opinion on a couple of points, and it has more questions in it than documented information.

John Moss

Nobody has any information about this firm? Unusual for this forum. They were an American company and likely in business for a few years, with an actual serial commercial production of 9 mm Luger ammunition.

I wanted to write a short article about them, but do not have enough information to make it worth my time or the reading time for anyone else.

John M.

this box would have to date from 1950 or after since it includes the Colt Commander in the list of appropriate weapons, and before the S&W Model 39, which is NOT listed, came on the commercial market in 1955.

Edit: After writing the above, I remembered that I had a book on Ingram entitiled "The Mac Man Gordon B. Ingram and his Submachine Guns, by Frank Iannamico and Donald G. Thomas, published in 2011 by the Chipotle Publishing LLC, of Henderson, Nevada. It had a little more information. Confirmed was that Gordon Ingram did begin the Standard Cartridge Company, that it was a very small company with ammunition loaded on a dozen or so manually operated reloading presses primarily by women, and the company’s goal was to supply hard to get ammunition. The list of cartridges is only three that have evidently been confirmed, 9 mm Parabellum, 8 mm Nambu, and .30 Mauser. I was not aware of the .30 Mauser, but I have many specimens of the 9 mm prototypes and production cartridges, and one specimen of the 8 mm Nambu, so they are definitely confirmed.

I was momentarily excited in that they had a picture of the same box I have, so I thought initially that it was a second known box of the same exact design. Unfortunately, I then noticed that I was the one who supplied the picture of the box, the same exact one pictured above. Since I know Don Thomas, it is not surprising, but I cannot recall my tiny bit of involvement there. No matter, Don is a great guy and could use anything I sent him, with or without accreditation. I sure he asked me about it for the book.

The section on SCC, pages 70 and 71 of the book, seem to say that Ingram’s interest in starting a cartridge company became reality c.1955. The little information I had gives that as the closing date, with the factory beginning in 1950. That information would square with the absence of mention of the S&W Model 39 on the back-label of the box, but the book seems very well research and written, so am simply not sure now about the actual dates of operation of SCC. The corporate address for SCC was in Van Nuys, California, but the production, which could have taken place in a relatively small building, was likely in Pasadena, the address given on the box.

If anyone has a .30 Mauser round from SCC, I would like details of it. It likely would be unheadstamped, with a nickel-cup Boxer primer, and a chrome-plated (not nickel), very smooth and bright finished projectile.

John Moss

John M.

In a December 2011 post on Guy Hildebrand’s website, he mentions that The Encyclopedia and Price Guide of American Paper Shotshells by Dick Iverson and Bob Strauss has an illustration of a much earlier (pre-1900’s) Peters ‘SPECIAL’ headstamp in 10 gauge, that was attributed to the Standard Cartridge Company of Pasadena, California. Would that be because Standard had bought a bunch of old unprimed empties to load or would there have been a company by the same name that used to operate from around there?

https://www.oldammo.com/december11.htm

DK - a nice gentleman writing a book on shotgun shells phoned me. I am sorry that with my hearing impairment, I did not catch his name. He asked about the shotgun shell connection, I think from the same company you are inquiring about. At any rate, while I know nothing about shotgun ammo history, nor that particular Standard Cartridge Company, I am quite sure there is no relationship what-so-ever between that of Standard Cartridge Company of Van Nuys/Pasadena. The firm he mentioned was in California, but in a different city, and pre1900.

John M.

John, I googled this: ( “Standard Cartridge Company” Pasadena ) and got a bunch of hits. Note the placement of the quotation marks. I didn’t investigate further, but you might find something useful.

Jon - I googled it also. Unfortunately, the computer doesn’t seem able to accurately search a multi-word subject. Almost all of the threads were about other companies with Standard in the name, or about ink cartridges for computers, etc., or just mentions of the company name in general things about ammunition. I looked at many, many pages of information brought up searching exactly the wording you use, and got absolutely no information of any value on the company.

Thanks for trying, though.

John M.

John, put “Standard Cartridge Company” in quotation marks…it gives you hits on that exact phrase.

Jon - thanks. I’ll try that.

Edit after trying Standard Cartridge Company in quotes.
Jon, I tried this and got one page of hits, not one of which had anything to do with Standard Arms Company, or even about firearms. I did this on a “Goggle” search.

Edited to correct the company name that I googled, typed wrong here, but searched under the correct name.
John

John, hit this link and start digging. Go through at least 3 pages. I even saw an Ingram mention:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SImmXYXfAqPn_Qb52KfwCA&q=“Standard+Cartridge+Company”&oq=“Standard+Cartridge+Company”&gs_l=psy-ab.12...3641.3641..5447...0.0..0.177.177.0j1…0…2j1…gws-wiz.V5Z82JdAitU&ved=0ahUKEwiFo_6h5p_lAhWjc98KHXnsCY4Q4dUDCAs

John

Did you google “Standard Arms Company” or “Standard Cartridge Company” ??

John, I probably wrote Standard Arms Company here, but I definitely googled "Standard Cartridge Co. I am sure of that because of the links that came up dealing with computer ink cartridges. I will change that entry to avoid any future confusion.

Jon - I will give that a try. Glad it is a “click on entry” as that is an incredibly long and complicated link. I could ever come up with that in a million years with my incompetence with computers!

John M.

Jon - I searched the link, including using the “Search more items” feature three or four times, which only brought up the same items from the original entry into the link you gave me.

There were only four items that pertained specifically to a “Standard Cartridge Company.”

One of them was simply the questions that I started this thread with. Two dealt with the Standard Cartridge Company that existed in the late 1890s (and perhaps later) that made shotgun shells. One of those was confused on the subject, as they referred to a 10 Gauge shell believed made by “The Standard Cartridge Company of Pasadena.” The early shotgun ammunition company by that name was not located in Pasadena. I wish I remembered, for the record, the city name the gentleman who called me told me for the early company, but it was a different location in California. As far as I know, there was absolutely no relationship between that company and the Standard Cartridge Company of the late 1940s. The last one was a question about a then-new book on Ingram and his submachine gun, which does have a small amount of information on the SCC, the most I have found to date other than anecdotal information from Steve Fuller, which seems to have been pretty accurate. I have that book and had already researched the SCC portion.

Just seems like there is very little information on the subject.

Thanks for trying, though.

John