Star crimp shotshells

There was an old shotshells manufacturer close to my city.
The name was DE Garkovenko.
(two topics have been talking about the special loading he was selling : special buck shot consisting of a big ball tied to other smaller balls).

I got the following info:
the first patent of these special buckshots was taken in Russian (this guy came from Russia in 1918)
In 1947 (or 1948) he sold to an US manufacturer the patent for star crimp shotshells.

In which year are the first star crimp shotshells?
Thanks
JP

JP–Here are the pages from the 1939 Remington Arms Co. catalog that shows the introduction of the Star Crimp in the US.

[quote=“jean-pierre”]There was an old shotshells manufacturer close to my city.The name was DE Garkovenko.
(two topics have been talking about the special loading he was selling : . . . special buck shot consisting of a big ball tied to other smaller balls . . .the first patent of these special buckshots was taken in Russian (this guy came from Russia in 1918)JP[/quote]

JP

I’m sure that you already know this but the “special” loading is called “Buck and Ball” here in the USA. The concept goes back almost to the beginning of firearms and was a very common loading in the muzzle loading smoothbores. It was also adapted to muzzle loading cannon. I suppose you could say that the modern day multiple-bullet cartridges are its offspring.

Ray

Jean-Pierre-- Dominion (CIL) first showed the star crimp in catalogues in 1948.They called it “folded crimp”.

But the interesting thing to me was the name “Garkovenko” In 1999 I bought a Dominion “Meteor” shot shell.I was told the crimp was “Garvenko”.
It was a folded crimp,but not like other Dominion shells.I have never been able to find out if it is true.

Dick.

Hi !

1. for Ray:
    No, it is not buck and ball.
    First in buck and balls the balls are not tied together
    Second what we call tied buckshot is that : O-O-O-O-O-O
    Here the balls are tied together like that:

O
                     /       |        \
                  O         0          O
               /  |  \    /  |  \    /  |  \
              O  O  O O  O  O O  O  O 

2. For Dick:
    The guy said it was sold to US company but in fact perhaps he mistook and it was a canadian company
    What it is sure is the fact he took a patent for this special star crimp and sold it overseas

3. If I remeber well the patent of star crimp is French and was from Gevelot
    I have to check and I will give you the year

JP

JP

Most buck and ball loads that I am familiar with are tied together, not directly, but in a patch or other carrier.

Ray

Looks like this subject needs a little more research being there is an 9 year discrepancy between the Remington announcement in 1939 and 1948 when the inventor supposedly sold the star crimp patent to an American company.

Gourd