Steel Case 7.63 Mauser Cartridge

Did German manufacturers make 7.63 (.30) Mauser ammo in quantity? Cannot recall seeing any.
NB Mauser not 7.62 Tokarev

Steel cased 7.63 mm Mauser cartridges were made by DWM, Werk Berlin-Borsigwalde and are quite common with DWM B 403 B headstamp. There are also rare examples headstamped asb St+ 50 42.

While it somewhat relates, especially in the headstamp bunter used, I will add that DWM Berlin-Borsigwalde also produced a small lot of 9 x 25 mm (Mauser) Export caliber ammunition with steel cases, using the bunter for 7.63 x 25 mm, but with the DWM Case number removed from the bunter. Therefor, the headstamp is only B DWM B with no entry at the 6 o’clock position on the cartridge head. These were loaded with CNCS FMJ RN bullets, and used a copper primer cup.

Gustav Genschow, Durlach, also produced a steel-case 9 x 25 mm cartridge, loaded with a GMCS FMJ RN bullet and using a steel primer cup, headstamped “dnh St+ 1 43.” That is the only lot number I have seen, so if others know of later lots, please report them here.

The original German code sheets indicate “dnh” (previously "P405) is the code for “Rheinisch-Westfälische Sprengstoff A.-G., Werk Durlach (vormals Gustav Genschow).” I am not sure of any formal name change of the Genschow factory at Durlach during WWII, although it is possible, but from 1927, RWS and Geco had a working agreement whereas Geco produced pistol ammunition for RWS, with their headstamp.

The DWM-made steel-case 9 x 25 mm is very close to being rare, while the “dnh” version I would class as being “somewhat scarce.” Certainly the latter is NOT rare.

John Moss

Yes. There are a number of examples with lacquered steel cases from the 1930s and early 1940s with both DWM and asb headstamps. I have heard rumors of copper-washed examples from WWI, but I have never seen one or heard of one in a collection. The Soviets began producing steel-cased ammo (LS and CWS) at least as early as 1942, for TT pistols and various SMGs, and both German and Russian forces would have used them in their 7.63 Mauser pistols.

hello
the 7.63 mauser and the 7.62 tokarev would be beauties
but i think is almost impossible to get of

The early Soviet steel cases (no headstamp and 1942) can be very hard to find, and the asb is very rare, but as Fede said, the DWM B 403 B can be found fairly easily. I think I probably have 2 or 3 extras myself.

Jon, you have a list of factories and dates pre 1945?

Jon - could you elaborate on “there are a number of examples with lacquered steel cases from the 1930s and early 1940s…” I am aware of the DWM BB and asb-code 7.63 Mauser rounds from the early 1940s, but what are the other examples of this caliber with steel cases from the 1930s? Are you speaking just of the B DWM B 403, which I am not sure when those were actually made, but assume it was relatively contemporary to the “asb” marked cartridges, since the latter has been found mixed with the commercial-style headstamped rounds and date from 1942.

John M.

John, I definitely meant those two, and hedged a bit sure that there’s more out there that I don’t know about.

Alex, you mean Tokarev factories pre-1945? Do you have my “Known Tokarevs & Producers” list?

for jonnyc i talk about copper washed one for the 7.63 and the lacquered ones for the 7.62

7.62 Tokarevs with lacquered steel cases were commonly made in East Germany, Czechoslovakia, and much less commonly in Poland.

for jonnyc ,i refer to john message ,i talk about the 7.62 lacquered one from russia period “1930”

To what I ever saw and read the USSR had no laquered cases in the 1930s.

I believe all Soviet/Russian steel-cased 7.62x25s were CWS, BWS, and bare steel.

I have about 470 7.62 x 25 mm Tokarevs in my collection. I collect every visual difference, including size and placement of crimps, case finishes, size and spacing of headstamps letters and numbers, etc., but do not collect dates. To date, I have never seen a Russian Lacquered steel case, but rather only brass cases, CWS and BWS steel cases. I have none, in any loading or variation, with a lacquered or bare steel case.

Please note I do not say they don’t exist. Only that I am totally unfamiliar with any such specimens. My Tokarev collection is not spectacular.

John Moss

John, I have examples of bare steel-cased Soviet ball and dummy rounds.

Jon - could you post pictures of them, including profile and headstamps (even the head if they have no headstamps)? Would be great to see them and have a copy for my files. These must have had a serious rusting problem, being of unprotected steel.

John

John, the unplated steel ones were a late war measure and for immediate use.
Russian sources say remaining stocks were destroyed right after the war.
This may explain why they are hardly encountered.

Jon, as John is saying it would be great to see those.

Will try to dig them out in a timely manner.