Steel cased yugo 7.62x39 question

steel cased yugo 7.62x39 question
i have a question for you guys. i just received a couple boxes of this steel case yugo ammo dated 1980-y and here is the question i have for you guys. i open one of the boxes and the first thing i noticed is that the ammo is covered in cosmoline.it’s not oil but thick cosmo that you cant wipe off easy. is this normal for yugo steel case ammo? was this just so to prevent rust? kind of stupid if you ask me because i can see this causing a lot of jams in ak’s and sks rifles.
what do you guys think?

the bottom round i cleaned with my finger nail

the one i cleaned with my nail is the last one on the right

I’m inclined to think this is a wax instead of an oil or cosmoline. The ammo came out of sealed crates this way, it must be there for a good reason…

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I’m inclined to think this is a wax instead of an oil or cosmoline. The ammo came out of sealed crates this way, it must be there for a good reason…

AKMS[/quote]

i think you might be right it does have a wax feel to it

but dont you think it will jam?

[quote=“AKMS”]I’m inclined to think this is a wax instead of an oil or cosmoline. The ammo came out of sealed crates this way, it must be there for a good reason…

AKMS[/quote]
Agreed. All the Yugo steel cased 7,9x57 & 7.62x39 I have used has all been waxed at the factory. I would imagine to help ease extraction. Interestingly, brass cased Yugo M49 7,9 factory loaded on Browning links is also waxed, probably for the same reason. JH