Sterling brand 9x19mm?

While checking the website for TURAC of Turkey, I came across a new (to me) brand of 9x19mm ammo: Sterling.

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is and what the headstamp may be?

Here’s the web link to TURAC:

turac.com.tr/html/eng/urunler_eng.html

(Scroll down the page and click the tab “Bullets for Pistols” which will show the picture of the ammo).

Note the printing on the end label of the Sterling box looks similar to the RWS brand (RUAG Ammotec) Precision Ammuniton Copper Matrix-NTF frangible ammunition box end labels.

The term “shot shell” and the R trademark indicator point to it being US on the Sterling shotgun cartridges. The style of picture on the 9mm box rings a little bell in my head that says S+B but I have no real idea.

Leon, Good Find. They seem to handle three brands that I have not seen elsewhere, Sterling, Kaiser and Victory Sport. None of these boxes remind me of anything else I have seen. The only thing I see in ammo that is an import is Rottweil brand shotshells.

Some of the Sterling Shotshell loads have “Pallettoni” on the side which sounds Italian to me, but others would know better. Everything else on their boxes is in English. One Victory Sport labels is in German and the other is in English.

Could be ammo being made on contract for them by somebody else. Their history does not indicate that they make ammunition, but they have a large explosives factory and show photos of their shotshell loading machines so they may be loading their own 9x19mm and 9mmPAK.

Sure would like to see the headstamp on these rounds!

Cheers,
Lew

The headstamp I saw on saturday was “STR 9P 13”. The cases and projectiles looked like being from ZVS in Slovakia. The company rep at the exhibition also admitted that they are importing components from that country and others (maybe he meant the 12 GA stuff).

Their shotshell slugs “Sixlug” are illegal copies of the “Duplex” slugs (from Latvia). They ran 5 court cases already and results are pending. Meanwhile the Turkish blatantly keep on marketing their copies.

There are evidently plans for the export of the Sterling 9 mm to the USA. I have one round and the original box (sans inner tray or box) in my own collection. Same headstamp as reported by EOD. Evidently came from the SHOT Show, but the round is not a dummy, or if so, not obviously so (it has an unsnapped primer, normal red seal, and no holes in the case) so it would not have been an allowable dummy, if if it IS inert, at the SHOT Show.

Somehow it came to this country, regardless.

Here is a box image from the Turac website:

EOD, I confirmed today that this is not ZVS production. They believe that it is Turkish production.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew & John, have you compared this headstamp style with MKE cartridges made in 2013? The Turkish ammunition headstamped MKE 13 9P have been imported into the States since mid-2013 (also 5.56x45 and 7.62x51).

Fede - Yes I have. The two are very similar. Identical in content except for the manufacturer initials and the same red color of primer seal. MKE rounds also come with a green primer seal. I identified one sized from a woman at the San Francisco Airport. I have a photo which one of the officers, a dear friend of mine, sent to me. It is the same format also, but dated “10.” The cartridge is for destruction only. A shame. I don’t have one like it.

Edited to remove some info that perhaps should not have been included.

Fede, That is interesting because in 2011 MKE put out a RFP for 15M or 25M primed cases and bullets. I understand there were a number of bidders but have no idea who won. Delivery would have started around 2013. I doubt these cases were MKE made but were from the winning bidder.

Does anyone know who bid this contract and who won??? If it was a US company that won, then that is being sold could be production overrun or rejects.

I don’t recall seeing the MKE rounds for sale in the US.

MFS won a previous contract for MKE and produced in 2005.

Cheers,
Lew

John, thanks for the information and nice story.

Lew, the MKE rounds of 2013 manufacture in those three calibers are distributed by ZQI of Charlottesville, VA -and packed in boxes specially made for them- and only available for direct sale at Wallmart. Here is a picture of the 9 mm metal box (note the artistic reflection of the trolley):

[quote]Fede, That is interesting because in 2011 MKE put out a RFP for 15M or 25M primed cases and bullets. I understand there were a number of bidders but have no idea who won. Delivery would have started around 2013. I doubt these cases were MKE made but were from the winning bidder.

Does anyone know who bid this contract and who won??? If it was a US company that won, then that is being sold could be production overrun or rejects.[/quote]

Lew, there are at least three different cartridges headstamped MKE 9P 11/12: made by MKE (green annulus), made by Fiocchi (red annulus), and made by S&B (green covered primer). The letter spacing and shape of these three headstamps is also slightly different. Also the primer crimp.

The 50rd boxes of ZQ1 9mm with the MKE cases are priced relatively high compared to other cheap 9mm ammo sold at Walmart, and it doesn’t move off the shelf very quickly now that the ammo craze has slowed some for the 9x19 caliber. The day before I leave for SLICS I am going to check my Walmart in case there are any MKE 14 date headstamps in yet. I doubt they will burn through the 13 date stuff until later this year though.

[quote=“Lew”]EOD, I confirmed today that this is not ZVS production. They believe that it is Turkish production.

Cheers,
Lew[/quote]

Lew, the company rep told me that they do not make any cases. If it is not ZVS (though he admitted to Slovakia as being one of suppliers when I asked) so it might be one of the other suppliers that guy mentioned (and which I forgot already).