Strange .303 British with headstamp A AI 52

Just receive this strange cartridge with increazed diameter of the case neck. Bullet diameter is 8,1 mm. Primer cup is seated about 0,56 mm lower case base. I place the standerd Mk VII round with bullet diameter 7,76 mm for comparison (left on the picture)

What is it? Custom reaload? Spoilage in production? Special load?

Thanks for any info

It looks like someone stuffed a bigger diameter bullet in the case causing the neck to look as it does.

just my 2 cents

Looks like a 7.9 S bullet.

The headstamp is Dutch, so I wonder if someone was put a bullet from the 7.9mm Rimmed Dutch machine gun into a .303 case? The cases are quite similar in appearance and length.

Regards
TonyE

The Netherlands used the .303 for the Enfield rifle and the Bren MG.
To me this round looks like a home made reload.

Rgds
Dutch

This is definitely a home made round someone has just forced an 8mm bullet into a .303 case, it looks like they could have even replaced the primer with a commercial large rifle primer. If you look closely at the primer you can see a faint ring where the primer has been pushed in too hard, it leaves that tell tale ring from the primer holder in a reloading press. I have done this many times when reloading when I am a bit too heavy handed.

Richard.

[quote=“TonyE”]The headstamp is Dutch, so I wonder if someone was put a bullet from the 7.9mm Rimmed Dutch machine gun into a .303 case? The cases are quite similar in appearance and length.

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

Could this odd cartridge be someones attempt to produce a round to work in the 7.9mm chamber. It is probably simply the result of idle hands.

gravelbelly

I remember reading that there were a few rifles made in this calibre for issue to Dutch machine gunners. I was thinking the same as gravelbelly, could someone have made this to shoot in one of those rifles?