Strange .45-70 Government

It measures about 12x52.5mm? What is it?

My best guess would be a 45-60 manufactured U.S. Ctg. Co.

45-70 government

Here is a side-by-side comparison with a “F 2 88” headstamped round. It is 53.5mm long, a whole 1mm longer than my unknown. So my unknown is still .45-70 Gov?

Would that be an early E. Remington (or perhaps Winchester) rim style? Just wondering

The Cartridge Trader, No. 54. p.2; April, 1960. USCCo Farrington primed .45-70-405.

Farrington primer is often described as having a dimple or an imperfection on the surface. I don’t see it in my specimen. What is Farrington primer anyway?

Logan, Herschel. 1948. Cartridges: A Pictorial Digest of Small Arms Ammunition.

NOTE: The first drawing in The Cartridge Trader excerpt exaggerates the concave aspect of the first Farrington primer.
The second drawing shows an exaggerated dimple found with the improved Farrington primer.

This won’t add anything to the topic, but Graham Burnside was one of my high school English teachers. Thanks for the post. He’s the guy who got me started down this trail.

Note that the Farrington primer wasn’t pushed into place as are most Boxer and Berdan primers but were actually tapped into position. It seems like a poor idea to me (and one that USC eventually abandoned) but that’s how they were done. Some look more rumply than others, particularly cases reloaded by users far away from Lowell, Mass. Jack