Strange bullet, ID needed

Solid bullet, whitish metal, non magnetic, knurled cannelure, traces of green lacquer under the cannelure and over base, diameter 8,13 mm, length 31,26 mm, weight 9,3 grams.

Can you fill in a bit more background? When you say solid do you mean that literally? The reason I ask is because I think I can see turning marks. If that were true my mind would be moving towards French Lebel. However the Lebel bullet was much more tapered, your one is quite blunt.

Yes, I mean that no lead is visible at base or tip and that the bullet look like it’s lathe turned.

I would say from the shape which is not particularly sophisticated that it was a product of a fairly backstreet operation. However, the green lacquer tends to contradict that view.

Solid bullets have to be generally longer and more streamlined than a lead cored bullet because they lack the sectional density and need a good ballistic co-efficient to compensate. That bullet is quite short and blunt.

Perhaps someone else has a view, if nothing else now the thread has been reactivated there are more people back on the forum than when it was first posted.

The projectile looks much like it has been “cleaned” with sandpaper.

The shape, ogive, cannelure, and sealant all remind me of a 7.7mm Japanese bullet.

…But maybe that’s just me.

-Allen

Probably unrelated to this round, but…

I had someone ask recently about a .30-06 (FA 35 if I recall correctly) that had the bullet completely painted with a transluscent green color similar to the color on the bullet shown here. Not the thick solid color from dipping the tips for target marking rounds, but a very neat job all the way to the mouth of the case. I recommended they come ver and post on the IAA forum, but I have not seen it yet.

[quote=“ascorley”]The shape, ogive, cannelure, and sealant all remind me of a 7.7mm Japanese bullet.

…But maybe that’s just me.

-Allen[/quote]

That sounds reasonable to me, did the Japanese use solid bullets? I know nothing about them but I am curious about this bullet because it appears to be turned which seems a very laborious way of making bullets in any quantity.

Is this projectile from the U.S., or found in the U.S. and is it less than 30 years old? If so, then it may have something to do with American Ballistics out of Georgia. They made some steel monolithic projectiles for pistol calibers as well as 223 and .308 / .30-06 sizes from around 1983 to 1986. The ogive of the bullet pictured sort of reminds me of the ogive on the .308 American Ballistics bullet that I have, but mine is steel. I have never seen a brass pistol bullet or a rifle bullet from them, but maybe they made a few?

How do you fire a steel bullet through a conventional barrel without wrecking the rifling?

American Ballistics seemed to think that with a knurled cannelure area this would be accomplished, but it wasn’t. It was apparently intended as a limited-use high-penetration round, as if to use once or twice when needed. It would wear the barrel out in 20 to 50 shots or something.