Strange Danish(?) 9 x 19 cartridges

Being working at my collection, I found several of these 9 x 19 mm cartridges.
Headstamps are H^N 9mm 43, B^E 43. (Different styles of letters and numbers as usual during WWII)
But there is a star stamped above the original headstamps.
All cartridges have bullets equal to Swedisch 9mm lös ptr m/39.
And, all cartridges have partly broken/cracked cases, as can be seen on the photo’s.
My last information is, they are Danisch cartridges (Reloaded in Danmark), but using English and Swedish components.

Who knows more or can confirm these information……………?
With regards,
Jaco

Your information is correct. They are usually found in British cases, although I believe a few are known in
cases from other countries. The “X” is the Danish overstamp signifying a reload, and the are post-WWII.

They do exist in both danish cases (PJJ & HA) and swedish ditto, but we had enormous amounts of british cases and 9 mm ammo in general so they are mostly found reloaded on british cases. Story is they were loaded in Sweden on prepared cases.
Made for use in the M/49 SMG with a BF attachment.
British 9mm was also packed as stay-behind supplies in case of an invasion.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/9mm-ammunition-containers-t75630.html
Soren

Thank you John and Soren!
Now I can fill up my Cartwin database with the right information about my cartridges.

Grtz
Jaco

JACO - Happy to help. By the way, youunderstand that when I talked about the “X” overstamp, it is really a six-point, stick-figure star. I probably should have used this key - * - but then it doesn’t look like that, either. I should have explained that better.

John was correct with the “x”. Denmark has used both the “x” and the “*” on 9mm. I think the “x” is the earlier mark and was probably told that at some point in time but I have no documentation at hand.

Cheers,

Lew

Denmark did use an “X” as a reload mark in the pre-WWII days. It is often found on dummy and blanks in 9 x 23 mm Bergmann-Bayard Caliber, the standard pistol cartridge of that country until about 1941 or so. However, the cartridges in the picutre on this thread are later and have the six-pointed star, which I initially represented with an “X” and then thought better of it, fearing that while using a figure that looked the most like it, but was not correct, would confuse the issue.

John,
I understood that you used the “x” to represent the “*”.

For completeness I wanted to add that the “x” was also used. In fact the “x” must have been used through WWII since I have it on a PJJ 44 case, and I have a Crown 19 HA 42 blank with both load marks. I also have the H^N 43 9MM cases reloaded as both drill and blanks with the “x” mark so it may have been in use for a while after WWII.

Cheers,

Lew

Yes John, I undersood. Thanks. In the database (Cartwin) I can use the right six-pointed star, but my keyboard does not have it, neither have yours I see :-)
Lew thanks for completing the story with the additional info about the different stars. I only have the 6 pointed stars as can be seen on my photo’s. I’m looking forward to the other examples now.

The reason of cracked cases is indeed the quality of the used material?

Grtz all!

I susxpect that either the cases used were not annealed well in their original loadings. or somehow
work-hardened. The plastic bullets may have been slightly larger than the original bullets or the
Danish machinery may have sized the cases down too far. You do not see this level of case-mouth
cracking with Swedish blanks using essentially the same plastic bullets, but never in British cases.
They are usually in Swedish cases or on occasion, German (DWM from the early deliveries of the
Model HP Walther Pistol to Sweden (M/39 in Sweden) along with ammunition, in 1939) and some
Finnish cases are found reloaded to blanks in Sweden. The problem seems to be only with the Danish
loads, and then, primarily when loaded in British cases.

The above reasons are possibilities. I don’t know of any scholarly study of this problem done in
the collector’s world, and so, of course, any or all of them could be wrong in this instance.