Strange round on another forum

Someone posted this round on the BOCN forum:

I have never seen anything like that before. I asked the poster if the ruler showed cm or inches. Does anyone know what it is?

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/head-stamp-id-t8604.html?p=34421#post34421

That ruler is in inches. I’d guess it is some sort of “homemade” job, as the primer looks machined and the “headstamp” looks like each number has been stamped individually…

AKMS

The ruler is decimal, so it’s likely metric. JG

This can’t be a .825" caliber…I agree,the ruler is metric…

I should have known that that ruler is metric. .825" = 21mm on my Vernier Caliper, and this round definitely isn’t 21mm. I agree that the primer looks machined. If the headstamp is hand stamped they made a good job of it.

I think the ruler may be inch, but with decimal (.1, .2, etc)graduations instead of fractional (1/16. 1/8, etc)

These are often used by architects and others doing scaled drawings.

That would seem to support a purported .825 caliber.

Use of three places and the “maker code” suggest that it has UK origins, or seeks to imply a UK connection.

Still looks fake.

From the perspective of the photo, the ruler looks to be inch, but after close examination (which I should have done in the first place), I think it is metric also. I do not think the ruler in the background is helpful in establishing a scale for the cartridge. It makes the cartridge appear to be only 11mm wide, and that does not jive with the headstamp. The extractor groove looks funny as does the overall appearance of the whole cartridge…

AKMS

[quote=“John S.”]I think the ruler may be inch, but with decimal (.1, .2, etc)graduations instead of fractional (1/16. 1/8, etc)

These are often used by architects and others doing scaled drawings.

That would seem to support a purported .825 caliber.

Use of three places and the “maker code” suggest that it has UK origins, or seeks to imply a UK connection.

Still looks fake.[/quote]

I have rulers, both inch and metric, lying on my desk here and apart from the size of each you cannot tell them apart, certainly not from an unscaled photograph. Inch rulers graduated in tenths of an inch are commonly available. The h/s seems to be H1. .825" and the use of the " for inch is not common practice on any headstamp. The fact that it is a lathe turned steel projectile, in whatever calibre, is suspicious to me. It could have started out as a cut down case and then made into an ornament. This is all guesswork until the original poster tells us some dimensions.

gravelbelly

Here is an article I found about a ridiculously huge and practically novelty-sized .825 magnum pistol cartridge in .825. http://www.chuckhawks.com/825_magnum.htm (which seems to be a joke of course) It sort of looks like a cartridge that might fit the huge cartoonish style revolver that the comic book hero “Hellboy” carries, if you’ve seen the adverts for the new movie lately. Could this actual magnum cartridge be based on this older-looking shorter pistol cartridge? Have wildcatters been fiddling with this over the years?? Or maybe it is just an attempt at an actual “Hellboy” revolver replica like the one shown in this post: http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/pit-road/404049-big-bullet-825-cal-handgun-round.html

We now know this is .825" Calibre or near enough as the chap posted a photo of it in a digital caliper set to inches:

Several ideas have sprung up in my fertile mind:

1. Cable-cutter cartridge (20mm), possibly electric fired;

2. EOD Disruptor cartridge ( 20mm): There are 12 gauge and .50 cal being manufactured at present…My company supplied empty brass for one such contract just recently. The primers are “electric” fired.

3.NON-Cartridge item, (container or “dummy” for Film use).

1. other ???

The marking (three digit diameter, “H 1”) may signify a British origin, although the use of “H” is intriguing, because in WW II terminology, “H” signifies a “grenade launching” cartridge.

Any more concrete suggestions?

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

The projectile design does not suggest a “cable cutter” type to me. The rimless nature of the case suggests a semi-auto use, which in this caliber seems absurd. As for an “EOD” type load, the short-fat (read low-velocity) design does not sound right for this application. I’m inclined to say that this is a fantasy cartridge that someone cobbed together to impress others, but I would much rather learn that it is indeed an authentic and very unusual actual cartridge…

AKMS

On gravelbelly’s “cut down case” theory, I thought about this, but .50 BMG would be too small and 20mm Hispano or Vulcan too big. It could have been made from something else, but they are the common cases you would find in the UK if you wanted something to make this out of.