Stripper and charger clips for firearms - book

I am publishing a book about stripper and charger clips for firearms. I am going to use color photos of 5 or more rare clips (in color) on the cover. Anyone interested in submitting a color photo of one or more of their favorite rare stripper or charger clips for consideration is welcome to do so. Everyone who has a clip photo used will receive a free copy of the book (only being published on CD) when it is published. I need submissions within the next 30 days.

Like this rare mauser c96 clip.

A nice one but I need a better close up of the markings as that one is slanted somehow. Which caliber?

• @ Too bad it isn’t a regular printed book! Pictures of 2 items if you’re interested: —> 1] Clip for the Romanian 6.5mm Mannlicher Mod.1892 & 1893 bolt action rifle. The clip holds 5 rounds 6.5X53R. It is interchangeable with the Dutch 5-rds clip but the clip used by Romania has a small oval cutout on both walls and is very rare. The Dutch clip has a large cutout on the side walls. The clip used by Romania was manufactured in Austria. I don’t have this clip but I have color pictures of it. —> 2] 5-rds clip made in Bulgaria in early 1950s and marked with “10” inside of 2 circles. The clip is blued, it holds 5 rounds 7.62X54R and it was manufactured at the Military Factory - Kazanlak. The pictures of this clip [and mark “10”] will be ready next week. If you’re interested in something, please let me know. Liviu 08/30/07

There is not enough interest to warrant a printed book. There is barely enough to warrant the CD. I would like to see photos of these clips and markings.

• @ CSAEOD: OK, I’ll e-mail you a few photos this weekend and more pictures next week. It’s very sad to know that there isn’t enough interest for such an interesting book showing clips and loaders. Liviu 08/30/07

Kudos to John for sharing his expertise in this new book (and his many informative posts on the forum).
I think we will see more books being published only in digital format (e-books) distributed on line or on CD/DVD. Unless it is going to be a very popular novel or something selling 10,000 or more copies, the economics simply do not justify printing on paper. Gun and cartridge books are usually printed in small runs (2,000 copies is a common number). Unless you have a great existing distribution network and dealers lined up (as with some University presses) it is nearly impossible for the little guy to move that many books in a timely manner.
Eventually, most of us will be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital book world, and I suspect we will wonder why we ever objected.
However, I do confess that I long for the days of the old card catalogs at the library, and the serenedipity of finding interesting new books while prowling in the stacks.
It would be great to see others take up the challenge of publishing their hard earned knowledge- in the printed form, or digital, or at least good enough that it can be used in the IAA Journal.

When it is ready, and I get a copy, I will simply print it out!

John Moss
19th Century Man

I tried to take a better picture,but unfortunately my camera is not good enough.
The ammo for the mauser stripper clip is 7.63x25.

[quote=“451kr”]I tried to take a better picture,but unfortunately my camera is not good enough.
The ammo for the mauser stripper clip is 7.63x25.[/quote]

I can use it as is.

[quote=“John S.”]Kudos to John for sharing his expertise in this new book (and his many informative posts on the forum).
I think we will see more books being published only in digital format (e-books) distributed on line or on CD/DVD. Unless it is going to be a very popular novel or something selling 10,000 or more copies, the economics simply do not justify printing on paper. Gun and cartridge books are usually printed in small runs (2,000 copies is a common number). Unless you have a great existing distribution network and dealers lined up (as with some University presses) it is nearly impossible for the little guy to move that many books in a timely manner.
Eventually, most of us will be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital book world, and I suspect we will wonder why we ever objected.
However, I do confess that I long for the days of the old card catalogs at the library, and the serenedipity of finding interesting new books while prowling in the stacks.
It would be great to see others take up the challenge of publishing their hard earned knowledge- in the printed form, or digital, or at least good enough that it can be used in the IAA Journal.[/quote]

I have 100 rare ammo titles on CD so far but have not started marketing in a serious way.

Publishing ammo collecting books is a labor of love. Making a little proft is a rarity. There are just too few folks who will buy them. Most gun collectors are interested in the ammo for their guns. Some turn into minor ammo collectors but few become major collectors. There is no subsitute for a good book to sit down with and page through. I own thousands of them as many of you do BUT I have had to turn the corner and get into the digital universe. A full set of Buttweiler’s catalogues-if you could find one- would cost a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars. On CD the set with a search engine to find the ammo of interest is $70. Do the math.

Many publications will NEVER be available in hard copy due to their rarity. Yes you can print it out and put it in a notebook or have it bound at Kinkos.

Getting the information out is important. The format is a personal choice.

I am sure CSA has the knowledge to write enough books on ammunition, weapon systems and history to fill a dedicated wing of a large library. I think I would also print it out or take it to Kinkos to print and bind.

The clip book is about 200 pages.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]When it is ready, and I get a copy, I will simply print it out!

John Moss
19th Century Man[/quote]

Making a printed copy of a copyrighted CD is a violation of copyright.

I do not care. Make a copy for your use. Don’t sell them. It costs more than you would think to have these things copied page by page onto a disc. I like to recover the investment.

No, making a printed copy of a publication you purchased is not a copyright violation. Selling, distributing, or displaying it for public use is a violation.

Just for you Jon Cohen - copy one of my CDs and I will sue you. Talk is cheap. You seem to be a man who needs to learn the hard way. Let me know when you are reay to put up.

Read the law. Besides, I will not buy anything from you.

Not putting up? No kidding! You know the rest of the saying: Put up or shut up. Talk is cheap and so are you. You don’t have to buy one ,borrow one and show your metal.

Either way, the few times I have taken anything to Kinkos to copy (photo, text, artwork, ect) they always ask me to show proof of authorization from the writer, artist or owner before they will continue. I remember being turned away because I did not have written authorization to use a photo of a tiger from a book for a business card.

I had thought it was perfectly legal to copy something from a CD that you purchased as long as it was for your own use and not for sale. If that is a violation of copyright laws, then I had best not acquire any books on CD, as they are perfectly useless to me in that form. I don’t have the time or patience to have to pull out a disc and boot up a computer everytime I need to look something up. I can find printed sources much quicker in my files than going thru all that. I try my best to never violate those laws, which is why I have shown concern a couple of times over material used on the Forum here.