Stripper Clip ID

I just found this possibly german aluminum stripper clip. I don’t find any markings, but i suppose it’s from a Kar 98k. Anyways, I’d like to hear other opinions :). It had a thin iron part inside but it was extremely rusty and I removed it (you can still see the rust there).

Thanks in advance!

Looking closely at the first picture, is that a single line at the midpoint ?

Peter

1 Like

KugelBlitz - Have you put a magnet to this stripper clip? It looks to be, from the rust, to have been made of steel, nickel-plated.

John Moss

1 Like

There surely is a line, but I have no idea if it is a scratch or if it’s a mark.

I mentioned that the rust is from the iron/steel thin thing I removed. I don’t think that the rust is from the main part of the clip, but I will try with a magnet, thanks!

EDIT: the magnet isn’t attracted so it isn’t made of steel

No matter, the one I show above is nickle plated brass, they were also produced in brass with a steel spring;

The single line, sometimes only very faintly marked, indicates that they were made at the Königliche Munitionsfabrik Spandau, just outside Berlin.

Peter

1 Like

I completely forgot about the brass clips. I believe that clip is likely nickel-plated brass. Non-magnetic, of course, it is not steel. My goof. I used to have about 75 differently marked 7.9 clips, perhaps more (a small collection, at any rate), and I don’t recall seeing any made of aluminum, although that certainly doesn’t mean it was never done. I have seen an aluminum stripper clip for something, but don’t recall any details about it. I don’t recall it, though, being in 7.9. I saved the clips because I used to collect that caliber of ammunition.

John Moss

1 Like

The spring surely was surely made out of steel, and yes the clip is made out of brass because i scratched it a little and there are visible golden scratches. Anyway, can someone tell me the period or the weapons that used it? Thanks!

Used for the k98 rifle in 7,9x57 and definitely produced before the end of the War in 1918 when it was still possible to call anything Königliche.

1 Like

Considering the timing, it was likely intended for use in the Gewehr 98 and the carbine K98a.

John Moss

1 Like

Enfield: the ex-kaiser lived in Doorn, the Netherlands, not Doom. Jack

1 Like

Whoops … how embarrassing, and I’ve actually visited the house too.

I never should trust my own handwriting.

Peter

1 Like

Thank you all!

Posted in error

Peter