Subcalibers-other calibers

Here is a set of .22 RF adaptors for larger caliber RF cartridges. The .22s are unsupported along the casewalls and these seem to be useless because I believe even a .22 Short case would rupture on firing.

Perhaps a .22 BBCap, but there is no evidence they work with a barrel or anything.

Maybe only useful with a blank!!!

Anyone know anything about these. Who made them. I have had them for over 10 years.

Left to right the caliber markings are: 56-56; 56-50/52; 46 L; 44 L; 38 L and 32

Try George Kass

Lew - I wonder if these weren’t meant to use a .22 blank as a primer, or maybe a .22 BB Cap with the ball pulled out, as a primer, and loaded with blackpowder and a real full size bullet. This would allow people to shoot their Spencers, etc., with live ammo (or homemade blanks for reenactments) in a rimfire gun where no modern ammo was available. Not the greatest solution, if I am correct, but I suppose better than nothing. Today, Starline makes a lot of the cases in center-fire, and there are cneter-fire breech=-blocks made for Spencers - hell, there are Spencers made in centerfire.

Just I thought. I really don’t know or have any ads or other documentation on these. Just a guess to get the ball rolling on identifying them.

For the purpose I describe, I would have simply made them to take standard primers off-set so the rimfire pin would hit them, but maybe that was not practical.

The main thing, is that the look like they were meant to take a standard bullets of the proper diameter for the original barrels in the calibers they are in.

John,

The idea of a “reloadable rimfire” makes some sense, but I would think that the critical nature of the rotational alignment would take away from the practicality of it. Even if the material is aluminum, wacking an antique firing pin into the unyielding case head if loading out of alignment kind of makes me cringe!

Interesting items, Lew.

Dave

Dave - actually, it would be not one bit harder to seat these cartridges the same way every time than it is, when precision shooting, to mark the “high” (or “low” side of a cartridge for runout and seat every round in the chamber the same. A small index mark next to the chamber on the back of the breech would settle the problem.

Harry Pope often shot groups using one cartridge case and marking it so it was seated into the chamber exactly in the same rotational postion every time. He shot at least one group this way in the early 1900s that set a record that lasted until the 1950s.

As to the other comments, I have no answer, as I simply don’t know, with steel adaptors, if there would be a problem, or not. You can’t compare steel to aluminum in this instance, I believe.

John,

Of course you are perfectly correct in stating that, with attention payed, aligning the round would be easily accomplished. I was just thinking of the Spencers in particular being loaded and chambered through a repeater.

Thank you for the Harry Pope reference. I have a reprint of Mann’s “The Bullet’s Flight” with margin notes by Harry and haven’t had that out in a while. I enjoy reading material from the times before “Super Short Ultra Magnum Whiz-banger” rounds were the only thing of popular interest…

Dave

Dave - as I recall, his record was for a 200 yard group and was shot with a .32-40 caliber Winchester Hi-Wall with a barrel of his own making. A great shot he was and a great barrel maker!

Dixie Gun Works sells them. Use a 22LR primed case as a primer and BP and cast bt. Shoots well in a 56-50 Starr carb.

Orange, The Dixie Gun Works site does offer similar items-Thanks for the tip. It proves John’s original thoughts.

"Machined from brass rod stock and designed to use a .22 rimfire short in a special chamber inside the cartridge. The firing pin hits the .22