Substitutes for the 5.56 mm round

[quote=“TonyWilliams”][quote=“cartguy”].500 Phantom
Zac[/quote]
I think that the .500 Phantom is intended for AR-10 length actions rather than AR-15, and some loadings are longer than that - see the Teppo Jutsu lineup below.
[/quote]

Tony,

Marty built a small number of AR-15 .500 Phantom uppers after certain folks like myself pointed out that it should fit in the AR-15 magazine when loaded with shorter 0.510" projectiles like those designed for the .500 Linebaugh and .50-110 Winchester. If I remember correctly, he modified proprietary Olympic Arms uppers used in their WSSM conversions. (WSSM = Winchester Super Short Magnum)

hello
PIVI the 30 american and the 300 american is not the same round
the 30 american look like a 30.30 winchester but with small primer

The 30 American is not really a cartridge but, instead, is a case. It was developed in the last Century by a couple of Benchrest shooters to be used as a parent case for forming rimmed competition wildcats. Sorta like the Remington B.R. brass from the same period used to form rimless wildcats. Sure, guys seated a 30 caliber bullet in the case and called it the 30 American but it was a lot more than that.

BTW, I still have a few boxes of both the 30 American and Remington B.R. to trade if anyone is interested.

Ray

[quote=“DanielWatters”][quote=“TonyWilliams”][quote=“cartguy”].500 Phantom
Zac[/quote]
I think that the .500 Phantom is intended for AR-10 length actions rather than AR-15, and some loadings are longer than that - see the Teppo Jutsu lineup below.
[/quote]

Tony,

Marty built a small number of AR-15 .500 Phantom uppers after certain folks like myself pointed out that it should fit in the AR-15 magazine when loaded with shorter 0.510" projectiles like those designed for the .500 Linebaugh and .50-110 Winchester. If I remember correctly, he modified proprietary Olympic Arms uppers used in their WSSM conversions. (WSSM = Winchester Super Short Magnum)[/quote]

That’s interesting, and I am sure is a story that not too many people knows.

Is it appropriate to say that many of these were developed to “replace” 5.56? Many are designed to complement in one way or another the use of 5.56 as a standard round, either as subsonic, big game, special purpose, or in some other role.

My contributions to the thread:

.30 Remington AR:

.204 Ruger:

6.8mm Taiwanese (no picture, but here’s an article mentioning it).

[quote=“Tau”]
6.8mm Taiwanese (no picture, but here’s an article mentioning it).[/quote]

Fascinating - I’ve never heard of that one. Does anyone have more details?

[quote=“DanielWatters”][quote=“TonyWilliams”][quote=“cartguy”].500 Phantom
Zac[/quote]
[/quote]

Tony,

Marty built a small number of AR-15 .500 Phantom uppers after certain folks like myself pointed out that it should fit in the AR-15 magazine when loaded with shorter 0.510" projectiles like those designed for the .500 Linebaugh and .50-110 Winchester. If I remember correctly, he modified proprietary Olympic Arms uppers used in their WSSM conversions. (WSSM = Winchester Super Short Magnum)[/quote]

Thanks - that’s news to me!

I know that several AR 15 were rechambered or made for the 7.62 x39. Several wildcats of this basic case exist too.

Does anyone know if wildcats like the 338 x 39 or the 35 x 39 were developed for use in AR rifles to match ballistics of rounds like the 338 Whisper #2 ( 338 / 7 mm Rem BR) or the russian 9 x 39 mm?

Hi Pivi,

I was under the impression that the .300 American was just the early name of the .30 Remington AR.

Here’s a quick comparison of dimensions (.30 AR v. .300 American)

rim: 12.37mm v. 12.40mm
head: 12.56mm v. 12.60mm
shoulder: 12.29mm v. 12.32mm
case length: 38.66mm v. 38.66mm

Paul

If you scroll down to the bottom of Teppo Jutsu’s .500 Phantom page, there is a picture of one of the AR-15 conversions. Marty states that there were only four AR-15 uppers built.

Here is a link to a 2006 post on AR15.com from the owner of the rifle shown:

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=288174

And here’s a post from Marty himself offering the other three uppers:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=285848