Super Vel 9mm and U.S. Issue .22 Hornet questions

Hello from a new member.

Are these original Super Vels or are they made by later users of the name?

Is the “Police” moniker a separate variation or did they all say that on the box?

IMG_6483%20(800x600)%20(600x800)

Welcome to the Forum.

The key to a Supervel box is on the back where it provides the address of the company. The original company was located in Shelbyville IN. It then became H&H Cartridge Corporation, Greenburg IN; then FPC Inc Fon du Lac WI. Eventually they went out of business, and were recently recreated as the Super Vel Cartridge Co, Henerson NV.All four companies sold ammo with the Super Vel headstamp.

Cheers,
Lew

One picture at a time, then:

IMG_6490%20(800x600)%20(600x800)

Below is a page from an article on Super Vel, note the mention of police vs public marketing:

Brian

I don’t collect ammo but over time I have bought certain boxes of ammo that were too nice let slip away - and too nice to shoot. How about this US issue .22 Hornet?

2 Likes

Hornets with military label:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Super Vel article - so that means all the boxes were marked “Police” and some were sold to the public so marked?

These are some old full boxes that I would like to get dates of production on (and, thanks for the Remington thread here.)

Cartouche,

No limit on posts or photos if cartridge related so carry on:-)

The Super Vel & Remington Hornet boxes are great items in my book.

Brian

Some references for dating .22 RF boxes-

Inside the end flaps or stamped on the back of most of your boxes are date code stamps. These are coded sets of numbers or numbers and letters that identify when the boxes were loaded with ammunition. If you provide these along with the identification of the box then we can probably tell you when the boxes were loaded. The codes repeat so the style of the box is important to identify the accurate date.

Cheers,
Lew

here’s a code from the US issue .22 Hornets:

2 Likes

I thought I would mention that the Super Cartridge Co in Melbourne, Australia made both 9mm and .357 cases for Super Vel USA. I got samples from the factory in 1978 when it must have been between Super Vel name/co changes and the orders were not accepted or paid for.
I am saving this information for an ACCA Journal article later on. Little info is available. Ron.

2 Likes

The Hornet box is military issue so apparently used a military lot number instead of a date code. I can’t date this lot number.

Lew

From a Super Vel brochure date 1968:

SUPE-VEL-05

For the complete brochure see:

Brian

1 Like

The military issue .22 Hornet has a repurposed commercial box and should have a date code as well.

Here’s what’s hidden under the flaps on the U.S. issue Hornets:

1 Like

This box was loaded in the second half of 1951.

Cheers,
Lew

I understand that the U.S. military eventually switched to full metal jacket Hornet ammo for their survival guns.

When did our military’s use of these .22 Hornet survival weapons begin? End?

How long did we use re-purposed hunting ammo like the subject box before coming into compliance with the international agreement against soft point ammo in combat?

Circa 1947 the USAF was using Stevens .22 LR over .410 to break shotguns as aircrew survival weapons and I have seen claims that their use dates back to circa 1944-45. .22 LR ammo with FMJ bullets were made, I believe for in these.

Circa 1951 the USAF adopted the M5 Survival rifle, a bolt action gun with telescoping wire stock and quick detachable barrel. These had a 5 round detachable box magazine.
At about the same time, they also adopted the M6 Survival Gun which was .22 Hornet over .410. This was a folding design (hinged at the front of the frame, with a stamped sheet metal skeleton stock having a compartment along the top of the stock holding spare rounds. Thus the .22 Hornet probaby entered U.S. military use about 1951.

Hackley Woodin & Scranton Vol 3 would tell us precisely, so take my response as an interim answer until someone checks HWS details.

From HWS Vol. 3, pages 449-452

Initial tests conducted in 1951 with ammunition from Remington.

Initial procurements of standardized soft point ammunition were from Remington starting with Lot RA 5000 through lot RA 5022.

The M39 45 gr. FMJ was standardized in 1953 and started with Lot RA 5000 through 1954 with Lot RA 5035.

In 1953 work began on a new .22 Hornet cartridge with a FMJ having better accuracy and better stopping power for small game.

The new cartridge was designated the Cal. .22 Hornet Ball M65. Production began at Winchester in 1958 with Lot WCC 6000 through Lot WCC 6016 (1961)

Remington began production in 1959 with Lot RA 5000.

While some M65 rounds were packed in 50 round boxes, most were packed in 9 round survival kit packets.