SUPER VEL Back In Business!

Just found their new website last night. Two loads in 9mm and one 45ACP load. Expensive though.

supervelammunition.com/#!buy-super-vel/c1aiq

Their T-shirts are the bomb too!

Good for the headstamp/box collectors.

With a market place that is saturated with manufacturers, one has to wonder how Super Vel intends to compete in the market by offering high end (high $) products.

Brian

Yeah cool t-shirts.

As to prices also high $53 for a box of 50, 45’s, but when you consider most of the “home defense” 20 rnd. boxes go for around $25 maybe not so expensive?

But still it’s just another hollow point when you compare it to the R.I.P. round.

The history page was very interesting.

I agree with Pete. I found the history page very interesting. A lot that I didn’t know before. (nothing new there) LoL!
Zac

Does anyone know what the headstamp is??? I don’t want a $40 Super-Vel box of HP ammo with a starline headstamp!!!

Lew

In researching the history of the company, I came across this very good article link below:
http://www.supervelammunition.com/#!our-story/cjg9
(Short version from me).
The first Super Vel brand was produced by Super Vel Cartridge Corp. in Shelbyville, Indiana, USA, formed by Lee Jurras in 1963, who passed away in 1965, then run by his son, Kevin Jurras and Ernie Wallein until it sold in 1975.
The new owner W. Robert Hamilton named the company H&H Cartridge Company (not the H&H of Holland & Holland fame in England and moved it to Greensburg, Indiana. Later, not sure of the year, the machinery was sold to FPC, Inc. of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. FPC, Inc. produced police training ammo, called Super Vel Qualifier until1981.
Now, in 2015, the Super Vel brand name is back, being produced by Nevada Cartridge Company in Henderson, Nevada and owned by Cameron Hopkins, the former editor-in-chief of American Handgunner (1984-2001). Information from the Super Vel web-site.
Respectful
David call
www.ammo-one.com or www.ammo-one1.com

This part of the story is “fuzzy” to me.

Later, Hamilton sold Super Vel’s equipment, tooling and inventory to FPC Inc. from Fond du Lac, Wisc. FPC set about producing police training ammo, called Super Vel Qualifier. FPC Inc. went out of the ammo business around 1981; their trademark expired in 2006.

I moved to Green Bay, WI in 1993 and visited “Super Vel” in Fond du Lac (70 miles away) and it was Kuber family member running the operation (I thought a “Vince”…but on-line articles mention a “Chris”)

My experience was definitely in the mid to later 1990’s when I visited the “plant” and admittedly I did not see loading machines in operation, but saw lots of boxes of ammo (the most intriguing was a blue tipped 9 mm…I collect color tipped rounds…that I was told was for the Brooklyn Park, Minnesota police “sub machine guns” (??) (a hot load to cycle the actions)

So what confuses me is…”FPC Inc. went out of the ammo business around 1981”

? not sure :-)

I will see if I can but a box, but not a lot in stock. I will call them and see it they will be loading more calibers to make it worth my time selling singles. If so I will post pictures on the forum , once I figure the new one out. :-) unless they maybe just Starline cases ? if so I don’t want them.

Wholesale prices of ammunition have gone up 200 % or more in the last 5 years, first it was due to energy and metals, then supply and demand, out of stocks and panic buying, due to fear of new laws from the Washington anti-gun gang .
I wish the price list on cartridges in the journal would reflex that fact. Example: if you buy a box of 20 rds of(30-30) for $15.00 or 0.75 each cost, it is hard to sell them at .50 each (in the price list) and make a profit.:-).

I agree, I would thing there would be a much better market making obsolete cartridges but even those companies , like Ten-X have gone to other items beside ammunition, due to brass issues and production cost.

I liked the poster :-)

“I wish the price list on cartridges in the journal would reflex that
fact. Example: if you buy a box of 20 rds of(30-30) for $15.00 or 0.75 each cost, it is hard to sell them at .50 each (in the price list) and
make a profit.:-).”

Prices in the journal are for older ammo, as some consider older .30 WCF & not the new .30 WCF as collectable vs shooting stock. But if you collect .30 WCF then all are collectable. It just a question if you have the market to buy a new box of .30 WCF & have the buyers to make a profit. Nothing to do with the price in the journal, but if the round it’s self (how sexy it it?) will have the interest in your market to be worthy of the investment.

Here is the new SuperVel headstamp:

Cheers,
Lew

I received a box of the .45acp +P. The hollow point seems huge, like a Nosler JHP but even larger.

Sounds like “Super Vel” is gone again. I was doing some other research and discovered that the Nevada Cartridge Co originally filed for the trademark in May 2015 and abandoned the trademark in July 2016. http://www.tmfile.com/mark/?q=866289689

Perhaps I missed something here.

Lew

Decided to look at the Super Vel website today and they have added more items:

"9mm Luger “Hush Puppy” 147 gr. FMJ subsonic (50-count box). Originally loaded by Super Vel in 1967 for the Navy SEALs and their Mk. 22 Mod 0 suppressed pistol, our newly re-introduced Hush Puppy® is a subsonic 9mm load."
http://www.supervelammunition.com/product-page/a3040605-8a54-e7d2-9744-96f750c13767

.38 Special +P “Super Snub” 90 gr. JHP (20-count box).
http://www.supervelammunition.com/product-page/d9fb4a31-49ce-3989-4e52-4340f8c7b640

Brian

I just received a reply from Super-Vel to a question I had emailed around a month ago as to their brass supplier. He said it isn’t Hornady (my suspicion), and that it is either Jag, Starline, or Truelove & Mclean depending on caliber and lot number.

I would say that despite their trademark status, Super Vel is alive and well. Their website seems to have recently added more 9mm loads. Below are photos of the .38 snub and 9mm Hush Puppy that Brian mentions above.

Just came across a very recent video from the Super Vel factory. Posted on Youtube just a few weeks ago, it is conducted by a firearms carry trainer of some sort who interviews the owner of Super Vel (Cameron “Mickey” Hopkins) about some Super Vel history, current manufacturing, and then they do a range shoot. It is interesting anyway to those interested in the history of modern self-defense ammo. There are at least a couple erroneous factoids tossed around though, such as when around the 4:25 mark, Mickey declares that no manufacturer had ever produced a .38spl +P strictly for snub-nose .38’s until they recently (2016) did, even though the relatively well-known Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P short barrel load had been out since well before Super Vel began operating again in 2015.

Buckle up for a twangy upper-Midwest accent from the interviewer, and a disturbingly audio dead-wringer for Mike Huckabee voice from Mickey.