Swedish 9x19 Dummies

I got some Swedish 9x19 dummies. I would be interested to know in what order they were introduced.
SW 1
SW 2
SW 3
SW 4
SW 5

Being dated (9 & 3 O’clock) in the headstamp, I’m not sure I understand your question?

Thanks Pete,
Now I understand the question! And answer.
And I think rigby now knows the answer too.
Got it, Dan

yes Dan.
The 1967 and the 1969 are basically the same but by different arsenals. The Kronesburg “K” (probably spelled wrong) arsenal I think going by the date would be correct as the 33 style predates the 42 style of the Amf and then follows with a 1950 variation of the Amf.

Pete - I think you read the “33” style incorrectly. It is dated 53. The first style of the 12 types of Swedish drill rounds I have in my own collection, is the one shown in the bottom picture, with a 4 // Amf // 2 // 27 // headstamp, but with non-magnetic bullet which is not included in the information above. The same style also appears with magnetic bullets. Both of these are found also with early B DWM B 480C headstamps, as well as Finnish S-40 to S41 headstamps. I personally believe that the first style, with non-magnetic bullets, dates from earlier than 1942, although you can’t really go by the headstamp dates completely, although the sequence, not necessarily date, of the ones pictured is obvious from the dates. Dummy round, Gallery Loads and Blank Loads were generally loaded on reject cases, and for that reason can be found with many headstamps.

Sweden started using 9 x 19 mm Pistols in 1939, with the Walther HP (called P39 in Sweden), and I believe that some of the lst style dummies, the ones with non-magnetic bullet, may have actually been made before Sweden was manufacturing cases, from fired cases, prior to 1942. It is only my observations of these rounds, of which I have many headstamps in most of types (or no headstamps in the case of armourer’s dummies and gauges (that may well actually be a form of armourer’s dummy, but used in the gun factories). There is even an all-steel round, unheadstamped, that in profile looks identical to the drill round pictured at the bottom, that is, all-silver in color and with the two grooves in the case. Regarding my belief in rounds earlier than 1942, I admittedly have no documentation for that. Again, just an observation.

John Moss

Right you are John. Thanks

Thank you for responding. In addition to the pictures.
Amf 42 - magnetic projectile
K 50 - magnetic projectile
K 53 - magnetic projectile, why no grooves?
027 69 - non magnetic projectile
070 67 - non magnetic projectile, cartridge much lighter than the others

There’s an interesting site about Swedish ammunition: www.amkat.se. Author explains also the non-grooved inert.

Below are two boxes for “Laddblindpatron m/39” dummy cartridges. The top box is for the cartridge K 53 without grooves. However, despite the lack of color on the projectile, as shown on the standard inert drill round box, c. 1970, below it, the cartridges in that box had the green projectile, but regardless, no grooves in the case. There is an identical round with the entire cartridge chromed (? - silver in color) and the same headstamp a “53 date” which is the box-makers dummy round. I don’t know the meaning of those with green bullets, but the color, and the designation on the box, would lead me to believe they were intended as drill rounds. Just conjecture, but I assume they had a different purpose than those without the bullet lacquered green.

The second box is for the standard dummy rounds from c.1970.

Edited to clarify a point, and to remove an excess word.

John Moss

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures of the boxes.