Swedish 9x19mm?

Found an empty casing and a live round with the same headstamp at the range today. Unusual to find surplus military 9x19mm around here. Headstamp is a “K” at 6 o’clock, “5” at 9 o’clock and “0” at 3 o’clock. There are 4 double lines (like || ) seperating the headstamp elements, forming an “x” across the head. The quadrant of the head at 12 o’clock is void of any letter, number or symbol. I think this is 1950 vintage Swedish (K= Karlsborg?). The live cartridge is a FMJ with black case mouth seal and primer anullus. Shouldn’t there be a crown or something at 12 o’clock? Is this common shooter-grade surplus here in the US now or a while ago? Or did someone shoot up some collector ammunition?

AKMS

According to Municion.org (which has an identical hs to yours), this is a 1953 Swedish production.

The round IS made by Karlsborg Ammunition Factory. I think if you look in good light, you will find that the case mouth and primer seals are dark blue-green, and not black, signifying the M/39 loading. I am told, but cannot confirm, that since the 9 mm Browning Long cartridges loaded in Sweden had the four dividing lines, but single lines at each quadrant, that the lines on the 9 mm Parabellum were made double lines to help identify the different caliber.

The top position (12 O’Clock) was originally, when the 9 mm Para first came out and there were code numbers for the factories, had the initials “AmF” standing for the Swedish spelling of “Ammunition Factory” in it. Steel cased cartridges later had an “E” there indicating the substitute case material. Later, those markings were eliminated as were the dividing lines. Current 9 mm Ammunition has a more or less NATO-format headstamp. Of course rounds made for the Swediah Armed forces do not have the NATO mark, as far as I know, since the maintain their status of Neutrality.

AKMS, apart from the date this should be your cartridge.

Yes, that is it. Thank you. My colored seals are definately black around the case mouth and maybe a very, very dark green around the primer. I looked at them under magnification and strong light. Since these are somewhat aged and tarnished looking, perhaps the color has been effected. I’ll try looking at them in natural sunlight tomorrow if the overcast breaks…

Is this common surplus ammo? I don’t recall seeing Swedish 9mm advertised recently.

AKMS

There use to be a lot of this around 20 years ago. Now it only shows up occasionally.

Shooting ammo!

Cheers,

Lew