Swiss 7.5mm rifle chargers for Schmidt-Rubin etc

In the photo below there are 5 chargers for the Swiss 7.5mm rifle cartridge. Those in the upper row are coloured brown indicating that they are for ball cartridges. The two in the lower row are coloured purple for armour piercing rounds. The left hand charger in each row has a single pressed stiffening/guide rib near the bullet nose whilst the remainder have a second rib at the case neck level. The single groove type is the earlier version, does anyone know when this charger was introduced and whether it has a model number attributed to it?

The two earlier types also lack the internal steel protective strip which prevents the bullet points digging into the card. This strip is present on all of the two-rib types that I have examined so perhaps the second rib and the anti-wear strip were added when spitzer bullets were adopted, just a guess on my part. Does anyone know at what point the two-rib style took over and what model number, if any, it has?

The four round (top right) version of the brown ball chargers was used in rapid fire competitions where ten rounds were required to be fired. Each shooter had one four round and one standard six round charger to make up the ten shots. Does anyone know when this type was introduced? And now, the tricky one, if the single rib type without a steel anti wear strip was for round nosed bullets, how come it is coloured for A.P?

gravelbelly

Swiss clip?

I’m unable to answer your question, but I have a friend that collects military bolt action stripper clips and he might have an answer?

I haven’t heard from him in a couple of weeks so he might be away for Christmas, but when I do I will get him to contact you or reply to this topic.

By the way are the 4 rd chargers readily available? I know he’s looking for one.

Have you checked out this website?

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sclip/

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your replies. I believe that the four round chargers are scarce. It must be ten years or more since I heard about shorter chargers used to total ten rounds for some competitions. I then set about searching for five round chargers and eventually found this one. This is the only short capacity Swiss charger that I have ever seen. The use of one four round and one standard six round to total ten rounds makes sense to me as that way you only need to make half the number of special sizes.

Yes, I have seen the website on Swiss chargers but it doesn’t answer my questions (and I have many more!). I shall try contacting the author of that site in case he has more info not in the site. In particular he makes no mention of the various chargers with a wooden insert, including some of the dummy ones. He also states that the extra stiffening groove was added to fit the K11 rifle but I suspect that it was introduced for the Spitzer bullet of the GP11 cartridge rather than the rifle. The slim point of this bullet does not touch the forward stiffening rib whereas the RN bullets which preceded it do.

I have 15 variants of the Swiss charger in my collection and am looking for the remaining 10 (or more) to make it more complete.

gravelbelly

Hello Gravelbelly

I hope to have a answer of your question.
The brown singel groove charger was introduced for the GP 1890 ball and the second groove one in 1900.
The violet/purple one with one groove was introduced for the (old)Stahlkernpatrone,and the one with 2 groove’s for the Neuer Stahlkern(new)
at ca 1942

[quote=“gyrojet”]Hello Gravelbelly

I hope to have a answer of your question.
The brown singel groove charger was introduced for the GP 1890 ball and the second groove one in 1900.
The violet/purple one with one groove was introduced for the (old)Stahlkernpatrone,and the one with 2 groove’s for the Neuer Stahlkern(new)
at ca 1942
[/quote]

Hello Gyrojet,

Thanks very much for the information on some of my Swiss chargers. Do you have a reference work on Swiss chargers? The photo you show looks to be either a light tan colour or salmon pink, how would you describe it? Which dummy is this charger for please?

gravelbelly

Hello Gravelbelly
Charger is a light brown one,dummy round model 1890

I am working on a artikle for the IAA Journal about Swiss Chargers

kind regards
Harrie