Swiss 7.5x55 headstamps

Hi to all,
can anyone explain what the ‘QVH’ and ‘STN’ represent on these Swiss 7.5x55mm headstamps please

Tony

hello
there are an excellent topic

Thank you ammogun,
so they are commercial sporting versions of the 7.5mm?

Tony

yes ,many

you can find match ,hunting (with hunting bullets) ,sporting shooting
normally these rounds had commercial headstamp
the most know is T 7.5x55
but match rounds can be had military headstamp

Thank you ammogun

i forgot ,you can find many 7.5x55 from other country principaly for hunting and sporting
search simply 7.5x55 on google and you see number of brands and their headstamp

Thanks ammogun,
I only collect military ammunition, everything about these 7.5s apart from the 6 o’clock part of the headstamp looked very much Swiss military to me and curiosity got the better of me

Both of these are very likely Match Target cartridges and were quite likely used by the Swiss military. So they are a crossover and could be considered either/both military or sporting…

Thank you WBD,
I have been thinking along these lines myself today and it would make perfect sense.
Over here our match 7.62 NATO is very much a military round and even has a L number on the headstamps, (L42A3 if I remember correctly), and the boxes are marked MATCH/SNIPER.
One other thought I had, could the French date on these Swiss rounds be to distinguish between match rounds and service rounds when they are out of their boxes?

Tony

In my view, the use of the “French” dating system which WBD explained to us, definitely shows only that these are -not- service rounds. Service rounds have the date in clear text. Werner Ramseyer published an extensive list in the recent [European] Cartridge Researcher #659, showing the subtleties of Thun and Altdorf codings 1928 through 1989.
The system was applied to hunting, match (competitive shooting), rimfire and handgun cartridges.

1 Like

Peelen - can you tell us which calibers of handgun ammunition from Switzerland used this system of headstamp dating?

John Moss

As a matter of fact, Ramseyer shows two .22 short boxes and a 6.35 mm (.25 ACP) box, all made by Thun. The latter has code SXH rubber-stamped on its back side for 1968. The box-codes also show month (clear text 1 trough 12) and day (01 through 31). The 6.35 box, for example, has “809” for August 9th.

If I understand him correctly, Altdorf made only hunting ammunition, while Thun made also other types. As main source he cites drawing numbers from Altdorf and Thun. I have not the slightest doubt that Werner Ramseyers (he is Swiss) information is correct.

It is my understanding from his description that this system applied to all “civilian” (non-service) ammunition, including handgun.

I just wondered, but that answers my question. I have a lot of Swiss auto pistol cartridges, and have never seen on with those letter-codes on the headstamp. Evidently, they only put the codes on the commercial boxes.

Thanks for the reply, Joachim.

John

Peelen,

Decided to take a new look at my Swiss boxes. Interestingly, all of my Swiss 6.35 mm and 7.65 mm Browning-caliber boxes had the codes discussed printed on the back of them, just as you reported. Pictures of the front and rear of the boxes shown below below:

None of my Swiss 9 mm Para or 7.65 mm Para boxes had these codes, but then I don’t have any that I would call “commercial style boxes” in those calibers.

I have never paid much attention to lot numbers on cartridges and boxes, as for the most part, especially commercial ammunition, they are of little interest to me. Admittedly, I find these interesting. I had not really taken notice of them before. Now, I will have to sit down with the list previously on this thread, and see what I can figure out.

John Moss

1 Like