Swiss again...this time 10.4x38 blank

Hi to all,
just aquired this 10.4mm blank cartridge, now I already have the single shot loading blank and the bulleted blank for magazine loading but this one has a coned neck as opposed to the ‘normal’ shoulder and neck blank (left hand side in the photo)…guessing this one is for single loading too and maybe an earlier or later version of the one I have?

Tony

Tony,

I believe the tapered blank is a Model 1867 blank and the necked blank is a Model 1878.

Paul

1 Like

Some info about cartridges for System Vetterli.
Source internet many years ago.
Regards DJ

1 Like

Thank you so very much Paul & DJ

Atb
Tony

Wax is not original… visibly homemade. But nice rounds anyway, of course!

Hi Tony.
The wax is original. All of those early blanks have that greenish wax right out of the packets, and same with the 18mm Milbank Amslers.
Cheers,
Will.

Hmmm. Took a closer look at the wax and and JF look to be correct and I was wrong.
Cheers,
Will.

The one on the left does have new wax, it came to me in a fairly mangled condition so I had to play with it and make it happy again, the one on the right is as I got it, but it has been inerted, some sellers insist on inerting blanks (don’t ask me why?!) but both had been done through the wad (better than a hole drilled in the case at least)…but yes I’d agree it looks like new wax, too thick, wrong colour and you can see bright copper where the old wax was, I don’t make a habit of buying inerted blanks but these do not come up for sale very often over here…so until unmolested examples come to light…

Tony