Swiss blue-anodized aluminum, ( anodized Steel Case)

I think this is a 7.5 x55 Swiss grenade blank, but struggling to find out much about it. Any help would be most welcome…thanks…paul.

I have the tinned-brass G-11 Grenade blank in dates ranging from 1944 to 1964, and my light green steel example is the same headstamp as yours. Why they bothered to do these in these colors I can only GUESS might be for easy ID (but not in the dark) but they have the wide knurl on the ones they might have replaced which would work in the dark.
So sorry no direct answer but perhaps of some use.

edited twice to correct the case type materials

A label for these cartridges Mod.44-48 and a smaller version developed by the Swiss between
1952and 1955 they were experimental the system never went into production.
Sherryl

Pete, the one on the far left is a model 66 line throwing blank.

Regarding the colored examples, I’ve been told that they are experimentals, but I have never seen a box or documentation. They have the stepped shoulder, so they were made specifically for the Stgw 57 assault rifle.

Regards,

Fede

Fede
According to Huon That left cartridge is a Mod 66 same as the the Mod 44-48 but the knurled
ring is painted blue and it is a Granade cartridge.That label that I send was given to me with the
cartridge I have I did not send a pic because lets say the third from left is a precise copy of the one
I have.When I got this cartridge and label more than 30 years ago I was told that these rounds were
not plenty full.And I send the little one only for interest sake.They were never adopted.
Sherryl

The Cal of those small ones is 7.5+38mm

Sherryl, boxes are labeled “Gewehr-Treibpatrone 66” (Propelling Cartridge 66 for Rifle), but it is not a propelling blank for a regular combat grenade. It is used to fire a grenade-shaped projectile to extend lines or cables.

Experimental? More or less as you have there the GP 47 launching blank.

Fede no argument,I only go by what the books tell me,they give as far as that goes
no detailed description of what these cartridges are supposed to do they only say
Granade cartridge and I have to deal with that.However under the circumstances
I can only shake my head it is really false labeling maybe I am old fashion but when
someone says to me Granade cartridge then I understand what in German is known as
a TREIBPATRONE for rifle granades,and not for throwing lines that is a different thing.well
Fede the world is going nuts.Sherryl

Hate to disappoint you sherryl but “treib-”, just like “driv-” in Norwegian, is a prefix for ammunition that on its own only means that the cartridge in question is a propelling cartridge. I.e. it uses the round’s charge to propell some sort of equipment be it a grappling hook, a line or a grenade.
It does not necessarily indicate that the round in question must be for launching rifle grenades. It can also be a line throwing blank, a teargas canister launcher, etc…

You can be as stubborn as you like but a propelling round is not inherently a grenade propelling round.

Ole

Thanks Fede, I knew the one with the blue ring was not exactly a grenade launcher but didn’t know exactly what it was.

Also nice to know the weapon the light green rnd was for. Also I knew that the blue existed but does anyone know of any other colors that were used?

tensats
I used the word Treibpatrone that is what i personelly understand under Granade cartridge
the books use the word granade and that is what i understand under it to drive a granade
the German word for these things is Treibpatronen of course in German most likely the
purpose for the cartridge would be given.But in English a granade is a granade and nothing
else.I have seen these cartridges properly labeled like for line throwing.and not as granade
cartridges.The really proper term for the German term of granade cartridge is GEWEHRKARTUSCHE
Sherryl

No - it isn’t. At all. You are probably mixing it up with granatkartusche… which is used for the casing of mostly large bore shells/“granate”. Keep in mind the English “shell” is “granate, granat, granad”, in several European languages (Germanic ones). Thus “granat(e)” can mean both a hand-held grenade and the shell of a howitzer or field gun (the projectile itself). See for example Panzergranate (PzGr) which in English terms would be “armor piercing shell”.

“Granade” is not a word in German. “Granate” is.
I honestly do not see the point in being so insisting if you don’t really know what you’re talking about…

Ole

On a gerneral note, Swiss, Austrian and German military terms (German language) sometimes differ quite considerably. Also, over time some meanings changed. Take it easy.

The cable grenade blanc needs a bit more power so a heavier load! Normal ctg weight 15,7 g, the cable grblk 15.9 g. Some of my ctgs…

Years ago, when I was collecting 7.9 and had a fairly large collection of what we call in English “Grenade Blanks.” I am referring to German cartridges from the WWI and WWII eras. I do not kow if they were ever official designations, and I cannot speak to non-German forms of the German Language (Swiss and Austrian primarily), but the monograph “Deutsche Treibkartuschen und Treibpatronen im Kaliber 7.92 x 57 bis 1945,” by Wilhelm Micke, used the two terms in the title for these rounds. I did not know the difference in the two names, so sought information from German friends. It was explained to me that “Treibkartuschen” had no form of any bullet, such as the wood ones found in many German grenade-launching cartridges, while “Treibpatronen” did have such “projectiles.”

I realize it is quite possible similar or the same terms were applied to other “propelling” or “launching” cartridges, such as line throwing gun cartridges or the like. They are beyond my interests and I simply don’t know.

I don’t know if this clarifies the little argument going on here, or simply muddies the waters even more.

I agree totally with Peelen, by the way. It is not just in German that ammunition terms have changed over the years, or that terms in one country speaking, for example English, are always the same.

John Moss

I think for the most part the ‘silver’ ones are plated brass.

I can’t find a picture of a representative wood bulleted blank, but this illustrates it:

Paul

Right you are Paul, tinned brass, not sure why I called them aluminum in my above but I’ve corrected it. Thanks

For Timeout and for Paul:
The ammo pictured in the first pic from Timeout:
this are NOT Aluminium cases, but steel cases
In the headstamp is the letter C given, for Cockerill (at that time a big belgian steel Imperium /now Mittal , after many name-and ownership changings)
In Michael am Rhyns booklet about swiss headstamps the name is misspelled as Cokrill, but in fact the steel cames from this belgian Company COCKERILL…
Easy to check with a magnet…it also Shows again, how fast a wrong info can be spread if you copy only from the writers before :-)

there is a blue, green and silver colored steel case with that distinct double shoulder for the StG57-Rifle, all bear the same headstamp…

PP

@ John Moss:
the names are TREIB-Kartusche or TREIBPATRONE, not TRIEB-xxx
TRIEB has a complete different meaning :-)
Peter

This is the round in my possession
Sherrl