T 26 Tank found after sinking in the gulf of Finland, 1940

Have a look here forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=294103.0

“Command tank T-26 since the end of Russian-Finnish War, was found at the bottom of the Gulf of Finland. Historical building located at a depth of 15 meters at a distance of over a kilometer from shore. At the bottom of the bay is a group of tanks - this modification, consisting of 5.6 units. As suggested, the tank with a crew consisting of 3 persons, sank in the Gulf of Finland in March 1940. In recent days, Russian-Finnish war.”

There are a couple of pictures of the ammunition recovered.

Very cool discovery and pictures! Thanks. Those salvage/historians really busted there AS-'S to recover that tank. That diver is insane :-) Anyhow, what kind ammunition was that on the ice?

Jason

YO! JASON! WELCOME BACK!!!

Those are experimental Soviet miniature torpedos. They were installed on the tank undercarriage so the Red Army could continue fighting “For Stalin and Fatherland” after going underwater.

Notice the guy taking notes. I’ll bet he’s a Federale writing down exactly what ammunition was recovered.

There was a USA P40 recovered from one of those Scandinavian lakes a couple of years ago. It was documented on the History Channel, or one of those channels. Anyway, because of the water conditions, the Cal .50 in the wings was still shiney new but all of it had to be destroyed because of the regulations of the country in which the lake was located. It was sad to watch. I’m sure some of you saw the show.

Ray

Hey Jason,

Good to see you 'round. Was getting concerned that one of your kitty cats made a snack of you or something!

Looking at the ammunition on the ice there, I would guess those are 45mm rounds.

Dave

I’m goin’ with 37MM. 37X250R M39

Rick,

Could be. If only we knew that dude’s shoe size we could scale it…

This is a picture of the 45x310R mm I was thinking of from Mr. Williams’ wonderful site: quarry.nildram.co.uk/tank1.jpg

I’m just guessin’ mind you.

Dave

Me too. Guessin’. Looked there as well. Of course.
Found where the early models were so-armed. They just look too small to be 45.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Notice the guy taking notes. I’ll bet he’s a Federale writing down exactly what ammunition was recovered.

There was a USA P40 recovered from one of those Scandinavian lakes a couple of years ago. It was documented on the History Channel, or one of those channels. Anyway, because of the water conditions, the Cal .50 in the wings was still shiney new but all of it had to be destroyed because of the regulations of the country in which the lake was located. It was sad to watch. I’m sure some of you saw the show.

Ray[/quote]
I read on the BOCN forum that a P-39 Aircobra was found in the desert in Australia, forgotten since the end of the war. Apparently it was fully loaded with 37mm ammunition which had to be blown up in place. Obviously this completely destroyed the plane, which was apparently in extremely good condition. What a shame.

Some folk’s skull is only useful for holding hats cause they ain’t no brain for it to protect!

OK, where are the tank ammunition experts on this one?

Slick Rick doesn’t know it yet, but I’m wagering brand new box of .22 LR I just got at Walmart against that old Japanese fuze of his that those are 45mm rather than 37mm rounds taken from that tank.

Dave

Is the box still sealed?

I posted your ammo calibre question for the guy who put original photos in Treasurenet. If and when I get an answer, you’ll know.

Why would anyone try to drive a tank on water? Didn’t they know it would sink??

[quote=“Falcon”][quote=“RayMeketa”]Notice the guy taking notes. I’ll bet he’s a Federale writing down exactly what ammunition was recovered.

Ray[/quote]
I read on the BOCN forum that a P-39 Aircobra was found in the desert in Australia, forgotten since the end of the war. Apparently it was fully loaded with 37mm ammunition which had to be blown up in place. Obviously this completely destroyed the plane, which was apparently in extremely good condition. What a shame.[/quote]

Here an example when brain works. A P-39 in Finland with it’s original paint job on like it was in war yesterday. I am sure there are brainless criminals who would not hesitate to give it a new shiny paint job and take away the soul of this aircraft.

virtualpilots.fi/en/feature/ … 1/p39.html

Rick,

If I said it was still sealed you would just chide me into opening it thus destroying its massive value as a device for wager…

Vlad,

Thanks for that. Look forward to hearing on that as I am truely interested in learning what they are.

Ray,

Some thought it wasn’t such a bad idea (though I think it was proven to be)!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD_tank

Dave

Dave

Five good-old-boys in Arkansaw could have used those tank water wings. It was on the news this morning. They were riding in the back of a pickup when the driver lost control and went into a lake. The two guys in the cab got out OK but the 5 in back drowned when they couldn’t get the tailgate down.

Ray

No way this happened in Arkansas. Tailgate? What’s a tailgate? Get it?

Rick

LOL LOL LOL

That made my snow-bound day seem OK after all.

Ray