T4E1 Cal .30 Ammunition Chest

A twist-off. I never saw these, even though the seller says they are common.

1 Like

The T4 Cal .30 Ammunition Chest was one of a series developed at the beginning of WWII. It is well covered in Dolf’s Vol III. I would not say, “common” but they can be found. This series, and specifically this chest, led to the M1 Cal .30 Ammo Box in about 1946. Many were in this primer color, as they were intended in some cases to be painted to match the interior of vehicles, also found in white–which matches many vehicle interiors, and OD.

2 Likes

Thanks. Do you know what a little “M” to the right of the flamming bomb in the last photo signifies?

Nice find Vlad.

1 Like

No. According to Dolf Goldsmith in his book, the T4 was manufactured by City Auto Stamping Company, Toledo, Ohio. Can’t get an “M” as a manufacturer’s mark out of that, so I have no idea.

2 Likes

Untitled

2 Likes

Most sources identify this chest model as the T4, but this is a T4E1 with welded rolls inside the case. Also, the ones made by City Auto Stamping Co. are clearly marked “CITY AUTO STAMPING” in a circle (placed in the same place as the “M” marking). I think that “M” could be Morton Manufacturing Co. of Chicago or maybe Milwaukee Stamping Co. of Milwaukee. Both made ammunition chests during 1941, before the adoption of the M1.

Regards,

Fede

2 Likes

Thanks, Fede. That is useful information. Tomorrow I will go check mine to see if they have that little roll welded into the end of the case, so that I know which I have.

Fede,
Sorry to be obtuse, but those “welded rolls”, are they 2 semitubular supports welded inside at the top edge of the main case?

Fede,
Again, thanks for the info: All three of my Ammunition Chests have the rolled steel pieces at the end. Two are marked with the “M” and one is clearly marked City Auto Stamping with a C in a circle. All have D 35299 marked also. So, if I understand correctly they are all T4E1 models.

Vlad, yes, they were added for easier feeding of the belt.

@Taber10 Good to know; I think I have never seen the original T4 without the rolls. There is another T4E1 variant made by Artkraft Co. of Lima, Ohio, that is marked “ARTKRAFT LIMA O” (not to be confused with Artcraft Metal Products, Inc. of Fall River, Mass., that made M1A1 and M2 boxes during WWII). D35299 is the drawing number.

Regards,

Fede

2 Likes