Tank fired APFSDS & HEAT Drill Rounds

I have seen a few different types of 105MM & 120MM tank drill rounds here and their and recently came across this 105MM M735 APFSDS drill round as used in Ft. Knox.

I have seen this same style drill round in both 105MM & 120MM in both APFSDS & HEAT versions all labeled FT. KNOX. I know Ft. Knox trains tankers on the US M1 and M1A1 tanks. These 105MM drill rounds utilize a hard resin projectile and the 120’s have a resin projectile, a resin CCC (Combustible, Consumable, Case), attached to a steel aft cap. This particular 105MM drill round is seems to be filled with cement and is crazy heavy. Guessing heavier then a tactical round? If you look carefully, you will note that the steel case is slightly longer then the correct M148A1B1 as used on the M735. It is closer to a M115B1 in length. The resin sub-projectile is also allot fatter then the tactical example.

This photo shows the tactical M735 on the left and the drill M735 on the right.

Close-up of both projectiles side by side, note the fatter resin sub-projectile.

Close-up of engraved stenciling on the drill round.

Top view looking down.

I will post pictures of other similar Ft. Know training rounds.

Jason

While you didn’t actually come out and ask the question, I will offer an explanation (WAG) on why the resin penetrator rod is thicker. It will be used and handled by trainees, over and over, so thicker means stronger/last longer. Heavier? No clue as to why. Maybe subliminal weight training for the gunners.

Rick

Thanks Rick! I am sure you are correct as this thing is VERY durable! I bet you are also correct about the extra weight function?

Here are some additional, Resin fabricated tank drill rounds. Some also engraved Ft. Know.

Here are 2 Ft. Know resin 105MM drill rounds. APFSDS on the Right & HEAT on the left.

Here is a Ft. Know 120MM M865 TPFSDS drill round

Same M865 shown in a M1A1 tank display. Their is a small sign near the round stating, “Can You Lift This Live Weight Training Round”?

Thanks EOD! I think you are definitely correct. I just removed the picture because the more I looked at it, I don’t think they were resin at all. Instead I think they were tactical dummies with drilled cases, painted black? :-)

This is a 120mm HEAT training round.
Heavy, almost 23 KG.
Suprise is the headstamp,apparently it didn’t matter wich headstamp . They just used the base available.

Awesome! Thank you Western for posting the great pictures of the 120MM HEAT drill round. Interesting how they used the wrong AFT CAP. But, I guess it really does not matter except for easy identification when selecting racked, stored ammo :-) I just weighed the 105MM M735 drill round and it weighs 39.5 pounds. I’ll have to look-up the weight of a tactical M735.

Jason

For what it is worth, I first saw these 120mm dummy cartridges at Ft. Stewart, Georgia back in 1992. My impression was that these were a LOT heavier than live rounds. Of course, I was also transitioning from the 105mm gun on the M-60-A1, so everything on the M-1/M-1-A1 was bigger and heavier!

As for quick ammo ID when the rounds were stored in racks inside the tanks, the bases were often marked with grease pencil or “magic marker” by the loader so he could pick the round he wanted without having to look at the small numbers on the base of the cartridge. A big “S” or “H” made it easy to tell what you were pulling out of the rack while bouncing around in a dark, dusty and smokey turret… Of course the HEP/HESH and WP rounds (in 105mm) were only stored in the vertical racks to the left of the gun. Something about the fillers shifting if stored horizontal and affecting the accuracy when fired.

AKMS

Thanks big time for explaining 1st hand tanker experience AKMS!!! VERY Cool insight. I like the marking technique and really found the information about vertical storage of the HEP rounds fascinating. I never heard ether bits of information before. I am always amazed by the degree ammunition is studied. How did they figure out those rounds were more accurate stored vertical not horizontal? AMAZING!

Jason

Jason
Another 120mm training round.
This one is in use by the Dutch Army for the Leopard 2 tank
And also a heavy one 17 kg

That is one I have never seen before! Thanks Gyro!!! If I remember correctly, I think I saw another type of 120MM HEAT Drill round in the pictures you sent of the big show in the Netherlands. It was painted all gold. I’ll look for it :-)

Jason
Do you mean this pict…
Those are also Dutch

Jason
Do you mean this pict…

Yes! That’s the one! Thanks again Gyro. Those 2 are really nice.