Tatonka Cartrige Co old African Display

Friend of mine brought over the cartrige display mentioned above because he wants to sell and has no idea what it would be worth. Many of the rounds I had never heard of, let alone seen. Contains 16 cartriges. They are: 360 Rook No5, 360 Express 2 1/4", 450 Coil 3 1/4 “, 450/400 Nitro Exp 3”, 43 Spanish, 450 Straight, 577/450 Martini, 461 Gibbs No 1, 500/450 Express No1, 500/450 Mag Express 3 1/4, 577 Snider 2", 577/500 Mag Express, 577/500 Express No2, 500 3", 500 Eley 3", and 500 RWS 3". Any idea of what the value of this display would be? Thanks for reading!

If you go to Gunbroker and type “Tatonka” in the search, you will find one seller listing 4 or 5 of those Tatonka bullet boards of different styles. He doesn’t show the exact one that you mention, but the prices on his are all around $140 to $190, with one at $260. He has had them listed for over a month and has not sold any though.

The first thing to pop up.

[url]http://www.tatonkacartridge.com/[/url]

Glenn

Glenn–Thanks for the link to to factory for these cartridge displays. They are a bit pricey, but they look to be well made. They certainly have a wide variety of boards available. They would sure look nice hanging on the wall of the Cartridge Room.

Thanks for responding guys. I had been to their site and to Gunbroker… but have not found any with these old African rounds, arn’t some of this quite rare or not? Thanks for reading!

mnmarcus–I could be wrong, but I got the impression that many of these are new made cases specifically for these displays and not old originals. If you have a draw press it would not be difficult to make the dies for any case type you wanted. Plus, you only need to make a limited number of Basic cases which can then be formed into many other case types with simple re-loading dies. For instance, a Basic .40 caliber straight rimmed case can be formed into all the necked and straight Sharps and Ballard case types. Note that it says on most of them that the headstamps are paper facsimiles, not actual heads of cartridges.

My urologist has two different Tatonka displays hanging in his waiting room (which has numerous framed hunting and fishing-type outdoorsy drawings on the walls). I’ve not spoken to him about them, but they do have printed images of headstamps, not the real thing. That leads me to believe that the cases could be considered as being replicas. With what he charges, he could afford to have original Winchester cartridge boards.