TCW 7.62x54R plastic links for civilian Maxim MGs

Here new plastic links by Tula Cartridge Works for the “hunting carbine” basing on the Maxim MG.

Source: gun journal “Kalashnikov” (Dec. 2018)
TPZ

Thanks, very interesting.

I wonder if these are different from the Ukrainian ones we saw a few years ago (both black and clear plastic).

Jean-Francois, yes, they appear to have a strenghtened section where the 3 loops are joining on the central rail. Unfortunately there are no better images for now.

JFL & EOD,
From a brief look, they resemble the Prideaux link for .303 for Vickers Aircraft guns…subsequently usedby Italy and Japan in a variety of 7.7x56R air MGs. Also upgraded to 13.2 Hotchkiss/ Breda ammo for Italy.
The Prideaux design, suitably thickened in theconnecting web, with modern high strength plastics, would make a usefull disintegrating link…although, with a reduced life compared to steel link.( if used Full Auto). Using it Semi-auto in converted Maxim 1910s, may give a longer life.
Probably compatible with 7.9 MG08, and also .303 Vickers…I have used Russian Steel Maxim Belts in both 08 and Vickers without problems.
Doc AV

Astrid, no question in that. As the USSR used similar ones made of steel back in the 1930s for the ShKAS aircraft machine gun and also similar ones (different from ShKAS) for the PV-1 machine gun which was an aviationized Maxim.

Can Anyone post a picture of the gun that these “civilian” links were made for? A hunting carbine based on a Maxim Machine Gun is hard to even imagine. Would love to see what it looks like!

John Moss

http://armsline.ru/catitem/4988

1 Like

Must be able to get one solid amount of foxes in one night ;)

Ole

AZOV2014 - Unfortunately, while the link opens very well in the Russian Language, which I cannot read, when you use the English Translation icon (British Flag), it opens to and translates a separate page which has nothing to do with the Maxim gun page.

Is the “Hunting Carbine” in question actually in the form of the wheeled-carriage Russian form of the Maxim Machine Gun? If so, is that legal to own in Russia?

Since I cannot read Russian, I don’t know if there is some link to a different form of “Maxim” as described in the opening remark by EOD. I am already familiar with the Maxim illustrated at your link.

John Moss

John;
Far as I know, as long as the firearm is semi-auto and takes max 10 rounds at a time, it is a legal "carbine " (rifle for us in the west).
There are also civilian “carbine” AK, SKS, SVD, SVT, etc. rifles.
Not sure how a belt fed can be 10 rounds only however… but we see this same thing in the US, where states often state only “a ten round magazin” and nothing about belt fed guns such as “civilianized” M1919s or PKM style guns which per ATF terms become “rifles”.

As you’re probably aware, the laws for owning “carbines” in Russia are strict and requires that you have gone X years as a shotgun owner before you can apply to buy rifles.

Ole

John, the gun in question is a semi-auto Maxim.

A semi-auto Maxim complete with the wheeled carriage, and even the famous “trap door” for emergencies in the barrel’s water jacket. How cool is that! Wow. No hope of owning anything like that in California. And yes, here, technically if you link more than ten rounds together in a belt-type feeding device, you are a criminal. The only exception to our ten-round law that I am aware of is for lever-action rifles with tube loading, and we can thank the Single-Action Shooting Society (SASS) for that. Not even antique rifles like original 1873 Winchesters were exempt in the very first, original form of the magazine-capacity law. I love the child-like thinking of our government “officials.” Official what, I will not comment on here.

At any rate guys, thanks for clarifying it. As a Californian, I couldn’t quite gather that the “hunting carbine” was merely a semi-auto version of a famous machine gun.

Wow!

Edited to correct a typo spelling error only.

John Moss

While I was sleeping you already explained everything)

Who is the intended market for the Maxim MG “Hunting Carbine”?

According to google, as of July 2018, the average monthly income in Russia was around 42,500 Rubles. This worked out to $670 USD at the time. This works out to $8040 USD per year.

The price tag of the gun is 350,000 Rubles. As of today’s exchange rate, this is $5,568.50 USD

That is apparently over half a year’s income for the average Russian.

The average Russian will buy nothing at all!

There is plenty of businesses in Russia which are aiming at the rich + super rich.

Already saw a semi maxim on egun this week.