Technology, how it's changed what we do!

Look at how the computer age has changed the field of collecting! What used to be done my phone and mail is now done by PC. Once where we searched pages of written material for tidbits, now we search keywords on a computer.

It took me weeks of research, on and off the computer, to learn about steel shot loaded shells from just a few decades past. Three decades from now someone will pick up a Winchester shell with Blind Side written on it, do an online search and learn all you need to know in full living color!
youtube.com/watch?v=W_6cRPnHW8g

Yes but the internet is riven with half truths and inaccuracy. Swings and roundabouts. For example with this particular subject, the ammo industry has spent decades telling us that mis-shapen shot was a no-no and their fantastic shot protecting wads would prevent it. now we are expected to make a leap of faith and buy these cartridges.

If P T Barnum was alive today he would be a cartridge salesman.

I’d like to know how the hex shot is manufactured.

Back when I was shooting skeet extensively (which was over 10 years ago), I always loaded reclaimed shot when I could get it. My scores always went up with it. So shot deformation does have its advantages. Not knowing, I can see that a highly ordered deformed shot might work to tighten patterns where a random deformation opens the pattern.

The world is riven with half-truths and falsehoods (inaccuracy), especially from politicians and the news media.

Just as fishing lures are intended to catch more fishermen than fish, so it is with many items at the retail level. Case in point- look at LeveRevolution.

The trouble with the internet is you often find the same text (complete with errors) copied and pasted onto 5 or 6 different sites. Myths also spread much faster via forums, especially where firearms and ammunition are concerned.

Dennis
Skeet is a reverse logic in terms of shotgun patterns, compared to say DTL. you want the maximum spread ASAP. The various shooting bodies banned spreaders for skeet but had no control over the shot. In Britain around the 1970s there was a thing called “plomb disco”. Shot passed through rollers to flatten it and create wider dispersal.
When a charge of shot leaves a barrel en mass the air rushing through the mass creates uneven side pressures blowing the mass apart. Unevenly shaped shot accentuates the uneven air flow dispersing the shot sideways even faster.
Plomb disco came and went like so many of these things do. Maybe this shot is another attempt at doing the same thing.

Here in Britain I am more than a bit bemused at the tendancy of cartridge manufacturers to keep reducing the shot charge in cartridges, purely driven by cost I feel sure. When I was a lad 1 1/8oz was the normal load. 1oz came along and now some of the cartridge manufacturers are pushing 7/8oz loads. How can that be good for business? Suddenly “less is more” I don’t think so.

Shot load depends on your use. For 12 gauge skeet shooters, I’d say that most of them I know use 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads. They seem to work just fine in breaking birds, and they are a lot easier on the shoulder after firing 4 or more rounds (25 shots/round) of skeet. It’s not at all unusual for some skeet shooters to do as well, or better, in the 20 gauge stage, as they do with a 12 gauge. In fact, I had one friend that used a 20 gauge in the 12 gauge stage for just that reason. So within limits, shot mass is not a critical variable in skeet due to the close ranges involved.

In my case, as I take blood anticoagulants for a heart condition, shooting any load over one ounce causes me extensive shoulder bruising after just a few shots. So I have to go with light loads with less shot. A secondary reason for lighter shot loads is with the price of lead shot being what it is, if you are a reloader, your money goes substantially further (or more bangs for your buck).

For hunting other than rabbits, squirrels, and doves, more shot weight is usually called for. But even on a good day, most hunters won’t fire nearly as many shells as a clay bird shooter.

By the way, don’t (didn’t) some european shotshells use square shot for spreader loads?

[quote=“DennisK”]

By the way, don’t (didn’t) some european shotshells use square shot for spreader loads?[/quote]
Yes definitely I can remember the pictures but never knowingly saw any cartridges. I think it fell at the fence marked “cost”.

Mind you we used to cut shot from sheets of roofing lead. Not for spreader loads but just because we were into anything that could save a bit of money.