Tennessee bill to require all non-serialized ammo turn in

Friends- High on the anti-gun crowd’s agenda is a scheme to require that ALL bullets and cartridges bear unique serial numbers, with detailed records to be kept to track each round to a buyer.

(Note- this is IN ADDITION TO the other scheme to require guns to “microstamp” the gun ID on a case when it is fired)

Such an ammo serialization bill was proposed in Maryland last year, and has now been proposed in Tennessee(TN). The TN law would prohibit sale of non-serialized bullets or cartridges after 1/1/2009, and by 1/1/2011 all non-serialized ammo would have to be disposed of. Theoretically this will apply “only” to handgun, assault weapon and 12 GA shotgun ammunition, but you can be sure they will extend it to all ammo later.
The bill is TN Senate Bill 3395 or House Bill 3245.

Don’t point out the silly technicalities or impossible requirements this would require. Or that fact that criminals will ignore it. They don’t care, they want to get rid of guns AND AMMUNITION!

YOU need to be aware that this stuff is actually being proposed in various states, and may eventually reach Congress as well. Every cartridge collector needs to be politically active and fight ANY form of gun control, especially as it is now shifting towards “ammo control” schemes.

More from the NRA-ILA at http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3405

I agree with the above …wake up !

I have used low tech microstamps for years…it may NOT be as hard as people think to mark all rounds…now keeping track thats where the problem is.

Any old timers like myself will remember when you had to sign for any ammo you bought the registration ended when the ATF forund they had a pile of names and no way to use all the info…reminds me of the stasi in east germany.INFO overload.

microstampusa.com/

With all the billions of un-stamped rounds around at the moment, and no way of knowing who has them or how many when the bill comes in, I don’t see that it is realistically possible to track down the “un-stamped” ammo. This is almost as ridiculous as trying to get people to turn in every sharp object.

If every new box of ammo sold had to have rounds with different numbers, it would be a production nightmare, althought I don’t know much about US legislation, looking at this from a production point of view it seems like wholly impractical. Factories with an output of thousands of rounds a day would have to stamp, record and store the number on each individual round.

Also, what about reloading, would everyone have to have their dies made to stamp a new microstamp on a round when it was assembled. Is this bill intended to cover projectiles as well (what about home made cast lead)??

As for storing the information, a database storing details of each individual round to the person would be massive, and at sale, how would the serial numbers of every round in the box be registered to the person who had bought the ammo, and transferred between manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer and consumer? Are they telling us that someone at each of those places would sit any type in the number on each individual round? Such systems to do all that electronically would cost millions.

The people who suggested this, shall I say, “male bovine faecal matter” clearly know nothing about modern mass production, retail, or information storage/transfer systems. For the reasons I stated, I am sure it will never happen.

All of what you say is perfectly logical and true, but stranger things have happened. All it takes if for 51% of the members of any state legislature, or federal for that matter, to be idiots or people with a particular agenda. Unfortunately, when you look at it that way it’s not so far-fetched.

Even if they did vote it in, could they be forced to abandon it later once the reality of the sheer difficulties and costs involved were realised? I can image mass stamping errors at the factories, and errors in the government computer systems causing the whole thing to end up in a mess which costs the government yet more money to sort out.

Take a look at recent English, Canadian, and Australian history. Politicians never see the error of their ways.

• @ Falcon: In USA today there are about 20,000 gun-laws and nobody knows all of them, including the authorities or the police officers who should be guided by them. Non-realistic laws are proposed daily by legislators who refuse to understand the reality. Liviu 01/27/08

• This is about some lawmakers from the State of Tennessee who used to think they were above the law: the Tennessee Waltz corruption scandal with 11 people indicted. If I’m not wrong, the last one was recently sentenced. Four state lawmakers and a former lawmaker were actually charged with taking payoffs from a company called “E-Cycle Management”, which was nothing but a fake company invented by FBI. See here at —> nytimes.com/2005/05/27/natio … essee.html And they want people to trust and respect the local lawmakers for their “work”! Liviu 01/28/08

No one in the US that advocates gun control wants to acknowledge that this stuff just does not work. Look at Canada. They spent billions on registration of privately owned firearms and finally gave up after they realized they had not even registered a 1/4 of the firearms in possession. The problem is they are going to keep trying until it happens here.