The Eagle Metallic Cartridge Co. of Germany

Two boxes by The Eagle Metallic Cartridge Co. of Germany.
The upper one as imported by / agent J. H. Lau of New York has a “flying Eagle” trade mark associated with the German ammunition making firm of Braun & Bloem.
Can anyone provide a link to these two companies? (Eagle & B&B)
Thanks

International Cartridge Co., Germany

Hi Pete,

J. H. Lau & Co. was a large importer of firearms, ammunition and related equipment located at 75 Chambers St., New York, NY. It was established in 1875 and the original owner was Jacob Henry Lau, a native from Germany that arrived to The States in 1848. During many years they were notorious for being importers of Ballistite and later also of Empire smokeless powder.

The word “Eagle” was registered in 1883 by J. H. Lau of New York, NY as a trademark applied to dynamite and blasting caps.

This label design, but without mentioning caliber, load and agent, was registered by Braun & Bloem in 1906. It is the label variation that says “Rifle cartridges”, “The Eagle Metallic Cartridge Co. Germany” and illustrates a lead bullet loading.

The flying eagle enclosed in circle was registered by Braun & Bloem in 1908.

These “Eagle Metallic Cartridge Co.” boxes were later distributed by J. L. Galef, also from New York, NY, and also relabeled by Fred Biffar & Co. of Chicago Illinois.

I’m sure that there is a lot more to add but hope this helps.

Regards,

Fede

Major help Fede, thank you very much.

Pete, I forgot to mention that all registration dates mentioned are for US trademarks, not German.

Thanks !

I have seen several of these over the years and always thought it interesting that the lower one seems to have been structured to look like a UMC box…

Randy

nice Bruce