The Forgotten War

June 25, 2010 marks the 60th anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War, the War that is aptly named The Forgotten War. I am technically considered a Korean War Vet and enjoy some of the benefits that go along with that, but my hat is off to those who were actually there, on the ground. Most came back but more than 30,000 did not. Some of our Forum members were there and survived, but you won’t hear them tooting their own horn so I will do it for them.

Great job! Thanks guys, and welcome home.

Ray

Gourd was there. Thanks Gordon. And you too, Ray.

Ray,

Thank you for your service and thanks to all the others that have served in that conflict.

This is from the rather haunting Korean War Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Dave

You rule Ray, Gourd, and all the other amazing Vets from the Korea War and all the others! You guys are amazing and beyond appreciated.

Jason
PS: Thank you Ray for making a point to bring up this important anniversary!!!

Those of you interested in the Forgotten War may find this info interesting english.chosun.com/site/data/htm … 01077.html

Aha! I guess that explains why the TCM channel was running Korean War movies all last night. I wonder if they might be having another marathon today?

It was to close after WWII, the public was sick and tired of war, wanted to get on with their lives. Never met a Korea vet who had forgotten that conflict though. They endured much. I’m grateful for what they gave too.

[quote=“DaveE”]Ray,

Thank you for your service and thanks to all the others that have served in that conflict.

This is from the rather haunting Korean War Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Dave[/quote]
I have been there and seen it and I agree its very haunting. I know the man who runs the British Korean Association, he’s one of my customers.

Its interesting to note how little there is about Korea on the history channels. All the other conflicts from the Ancient Greeks onwards get covered but very little about Korea. Technically I believe the war is still going on.

I just got back from our “Western States Cartridge Collectors” show in Reno - not a bad show
at all. Added more cartridges to the collection than I did from St. Louis, even though only about
30 tables there. At any rate, we had three Korean War vets at the show at least. Gourd and Norm Hower
were looking at an album that Norm had of pictures he took or had taken during the war. Really
interesting stuff.

Thanks you guys that were there. Believe me, with a lot of us it wasn’t a forgotten war and your serivce
is not forgotten. I am proud to say that the grammar school I was attending in 1950, 51 etc. taught what
was going on there thoroughly all during the war. San Francisco was a different city then!

John Moss

I wonder how the vets from the present conflict will be treated in sixty years time.

I was 8 yo in 1950, and we had an early TV, 5" screen"? To this day I can still remember shots of those guys serving in the snow & cold on a muddy hill. A visual of hell. My hat is off to all who served, & heart is out to those & theirs who didn’t come back.

For the Dutch Korea veterans, there was an additional challenge.

Dutch volunteers during WW2, who chose to volunteer and fight for the wrong side (eastern front, etc…), were stripped of their citizenship and all benefits this brought after the war.

A chance to redeem themselves was offered in the form of a tour of duty in Korea. Do the tour and regain one’s citizenship, pension, etc…
Another veteran once remarked: they were easy to identify, they were very good at clacking their heels during inspection…

Vlim - I didn’t realize that there were any Dutch troops in Korea. I know the Brits were there,
and the Ozzies, as well as the Turks and the Greeks. A cuple of the neutrals had Medical personnel
there also - I think Sweden was one. Am going by memories, on this stuff, from a long time ago.
Even my studies and reading on the Korean War are from at least 40 years ago. For those of us of
my age, the war in VN kind of took over the study time of those who cared, and those who try to
get a grasp of history. I came “of age” between those two wars, and still have memories of the end
of WWII as a youngster, as well.

Of course, I think that those of us who recognize the valor of these troops honor all the UN Forces there (even though I
do NOT, personally, honor the UN). I don’t even have anything against the Chinese soldiers sent there.
They were just doing their job for their country, and probably had no choice in the matter. Yesterday’s enemy, as
far as I am concerned, despite the “huff and puff” of the relationship between the West and China today.

All of the casualties among honorable combatants in all past wars bled the same color!

Vlim - thanks for reminding us that many countries sent troops to Korea.

John Moss

John Moss

Sweden and Denmark contributed with medical personnel and facilities. Denmark with the rebuilt EAC “funnelless” freighter “M/S Jutlandia”.
Someone has made this very thorough article on Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Jutlandia
Soren

In total 3972 dutch army soldiers were in Korea as vollunteers. The Dutch Royal Navy also had 6 ships in the Korean waters.
The NDVN (Nederlands Detachement Verenigde Naties, or Dutch Detachment United Nations) also got an Distinguisted Unit Citation for their action in Hoengsong and Wonjoe.