The Gun Show ENABLERS were at it again!

This time is was much worse…

I went there to help man the club Membership table, and act as interim help when a table holder needed to take a break, or lunch.
People kept commg to me with, “Hey, I think you might want these…”, and handed me things that, it turned out, I was interested in.
My reply each time was, “I did not bring any money, or my credit cards.”, figuring I was well over budget this month, and likely also next month.
Each time the answer I got was, “No problem, just send me a check when you can…”, or something to that effect!
I love/hate those guys!!
And here is what I ended uo with.

I was told these are 7.62x54R Sniper rounds… there is an “E” missing on the right side of the image of the lable. What does it say, are they Sniper rounds?

FA 28 .30-03 Gov’t, 174 grain Boat Tail…

FA 55 7.62 NATO, M-63 Dummy, Full Boxm cartridges in really nice shape…

LOT FA 19 .30-06 Gov’t, M40 DUMMY, Full Sealed Box, no other markings anywhere…

S&W .44 Magnum, A Bangor Punta Company. These have been hanlded, and the lead has some oxidation, but it is a full box, (I will get to a little cleaning afer I get some sleep…).

While not directly ammunition related, I was handed a 1959 copy of “The Fireside Book of Guns” by Larry Koller. Someone knows I like older printed books…

And Last but not Least, an evidently sealed 1929 box of “CALIBER .276”!
Uhm… Caliber .276 WHAT?
Is this actually a box of Pedersen cartridges developed for the Pre-M1 Garand Pedersen Rifle?!
Does anyone have the two Drawings referenced on the box?!

I wish someone had walked up to me with one and said, “Hey, I think you need this old clip, just send me a check…”
This is a drawing for the original En Block Clip for these rounds.
.276 Pedersen 10 Round En Block Clip

Is this a real second version of the Pedersen Clip? It does not look Photoshopped to me.

I also have a lot of other info on the Pedersen Rifle and Cartridge, like a Vickers Hanbook, but that is for another post.

6 Likes

Yes!
The word there is “sniper” (defacto “sniperish” as per the translation).
Contained are 7N1 sniper ball rounds with a mild steel core in the front half of the projectile.

1 Like

Much appreciated, going to add that to my notes!

What’s with that “Frankford Arsenal” box with a color picture of the cartridge on the box? I have never seen a Frankford Arsenal box (or any other U.S. Military cartridge box from modern times) with that kind of art work, and also apparently with no lot number. Am I the only one that thinks this is strange. I fully admit that books have been written about what I don’t know about 7.62 NATO - it is not my field. However, I am not a stranger to U.S. Military packaging.

It is an very interesting box, but I wonder if it really is original FA packaging?

John Moss

I notice that box says ‘Frankfort’ rather than ‘Frankford’ Arsenal.

1 Like

I wonder about the Pedersen rounds in a M1 style Grand clip.
As far as I’m aware all, even the British clips, were a variation of the drawing Jack included.

276 in M1 type clip? Garand was made in 276 as competition to Pedersen.

It is the Springfield Armory 2nd Design clip for the Garand T3E2 .276 cal. rifle.

Regards,

Fede

Have i fried my mind with booze or is’nt the M1 Garand a 8 round gun???

.276 cal. variant used 10 round clips.

Thanks Fede

Chickenthief.It is as Fede notes, Jack’s comment about it being photoshopped is why I posted, that, & I wasn’t aware of this variation.

More to look for, Oh what fun,

Muskey - good catch on the spelling. So, that 7.62 NATO box, albeit interesting and very nicely done, is a fake. That’s what I thought, but didn’t want to say so just on the fact it had a cartridge drawing on it.

John

Just to be clear, I do not have those clips, just included pics I found so I could ask questions…

Yea, I was so tired after three days at the show, I did not even notice!

So, rounds are correct, box is trash, so what are the rounds worth so I can send the guy a check with a fair price?

Late to the feast as usual. here’s the US Patent drawing for the early 10 round Garand clip.

Pete

2 Likes

Thanks, Pete, MUCH appreciated!

My attention was drawn to what seems to be a plastic tray holding the cartridges, surely a novelty in a mid-1950’s US Government ammuntion package ?

Still, they’re nice shiny cartridges !

Pete

Nope, those are Styrofoam, the ring light I was using seems to wash out the ‘wrinkles’ you would normally see there.

The British version, which comes in several different, albeit roughly similar versions, can by inserted into the receiver either way up, an improvement on the US version which only fits properly one way up … if y’get my drift.

Pete

Edited to correct a fundemental error.

Badger - I wouldn’t describe the box as trash. It is very nicely done. It simply is not the original packaging for those dummy rounds; it is not, in my view, actually original U.S. Military packaging at all. It is very nicely done. If I collected that caliber and had that box, I would keep it, but it would be in my grouping of commercial reload boxes and the like.

I have no idea of the value of those fluted NATO dummies, but of course just the presence of those 20 specimens of the same dummy take it out of the rare category, and in fact, again in my view, make it not even a very scarce cartridge.

John Moss