The K 98 and its bullet weight

I hope I do not get my head chopped off since the info I seek is only partly connected to ammo.
What I like to know what was the standart height of the front sight of a K98 Carbine employing
the 154 gr bullet?? German Term (KORN) Due to the sporterization or shall we call it hacking
to piieces senslessly these now desired very sought after firearms all kinds of (KORNS) filed
and solderd are sticking in the dove tails of these barrel ends.As anybody knows to put one of
these back together at least to 60% of its original configuration is almost an impossible task
But man can it be fun.A bit of info would be nice given this time in M/M
Sherryl

Best you specify K98a or K98k. All K98k should have been sighted for the 198 gr. sS bullet; the earlier K98a would have been adapted to the 154 gr. S bullet to end of WW.I; post 1918 many could have been resighted (front sight blade) for the sS bullet, tho I can not confirm that. Jack

I have only official data for Gewehr 98 firing the 10 g S bullet.
The dimensional tables give the front sight height as 21.2 mm (.835") while the book by Trotter on Gewehr 98 manufacture lists 22 mm (.866).
Keep in mind that every barrel has its individual vertical jump, which is compensated (if necessary) at factory targeting by fitting a front sight of differing height.
Compensation of different ballistics due to barrel length or bullet weight was done by replacing the entire back sight (7 variations for Gewehr 98 alone). I doubt you will find much variation of front sight height for Mod. 98 rifles.

Peelen
I thank you for the reply,you are right on every aspect you stated
yes this whole question is far more tricky than what it seems at
first look,in particular after they changed the bullet weights after
the first war
Sherryl

In the version of the Gew.98 issued in Germany post 1918 with the flat (non-Lange) rear sight the front sight blade is higher than seen in the Lange-sighted rifles. This is because, I think, the flat rear sight has a minimum setting of 100 m. compared with 400 m. for the Lange. The front sight heights are visibly different (speaking generally here, as I’m sure unit armorers had other front sight blades to bring each rifle to proper zero) between the Lange and flat sight versions. I have notes of blade heights for a few specimens which I will look into and, maybe, report. Jack

The front sight height 22 mm from the Trotter book applies to the non-Lange rear sight (Kurvenvisier in German).

Jack
Thank you for your note,of course you are right the way you put it,it is something that I am
finding out now after fooling around with that gun and shooting it for more tha 50 years
however for various reasons there were many occasions when I thought what is going on
now I know. Thanks
Sherryl

Peelen
Thank you for your note again,I could not help to start thinking about you mentioning that as many
as 7 Kurvenvisier Stuecke exsist in combination with various Korn hights.I must tell you this whole
question blew up over a ruind front sight (KORN)by turning it around we found the height and the
the inspector mark + the Waffenamts were stamped on it.I am in possession of the book (DIE
MILITEARPATRONEN KALIBER 7,9 by Brandt Haman the various bullet weights leave you
speachless There were 7 contracters for the K98 and I was alwas under the impression one was
just like the other in particular when it came to the sighting evidentely that was not so with what kind of
bullet did they enter the meat grinder in 1939 as STANDART GESCHOSS the sS bullet of 196 grain???
or was it the S.mE.with 178grain??And yes a very interesting question arises what did they do
When a drill capo in Barracks training deceided to use the 7,9mmI.S.(LEICHTES SPITZGESCHOSS)
now this bullet had only roughly 85 grain that is the cartridge with the green stripe across the bottom
did they take the whole sight arraingment apart to hit anything just wondering all of a sudden
Sherryl

Sherryl,
be assured that what you call a drill capo in barracks had absolutely no control over what nature of ammunition was issued to the troops.
The “leichtes Spitzgeschoss”, for example was only used and issued on training areas with reduced safety range. It was limited to field firing, not used in basic shooting training. [When shooting these bullets myself I found out that the center of impact at ranges 100 to 300 m is suprisingly close to ordinary sS. A basic training recruit would not be able to tell the difference in my view. Dispersion is larger.]
The schweres Spitzgeschoss (sS), originally only for machine guns, was indeed adopted in 1930 as general issue (like the U.S. cal .30 M1 in 1925).
During WW2, it was foreseen that Germany would run out of lead and already in 1940 the 11.55 g SmE bullet with most of the lead replaced by an unhardened steel core (Eisenkern) was adopted. Because most of the cartridge production happened from 1943 onwards, the SmE was the most frequently used cartridge.
In other words: the sights for all rifles and machine guns were calibrated for sS, but the majority by far of the fired ammunition had SmE bullets. (Not unlike the U.S. late in the war, when AP M2 became the dominating cartridge instead of ball M2.)
The practical consequences for the average soldier were in my view not as dramatic as it may sound at first, because I believe he would not be able to tell the difference. His typical shooting skills left a lot to be desired [admittedly, this is experience from my Bundeswehr service] and he was used to having his rifle not zeroed personally by himself. Both sS and SmE would anyway require some sort of Kentucky windage to compensate for this. SmE would usually shoot somewhat higher. Rifle shooting beyond about 100 m rarely took place in combat. The squad machine gun was the main weapon anyway and its effectiveness actually relied on a certain dispersion (in combination with a quite high rate of fire).
So SmE was no real problem for the ordinary soldier. Snipers of course were issued
sS cartridges.

The Mod. 98 sight versions were [Eckardt/Morawietz]:
1 - Lange Visier for Patrone 88 (original Gewehr 98)
2 - Version 1 modfied for Patrone S (using the base of version 1)
3 - Lange Visier, newly manufactured for Patrone S (base marking starting at 400 m)
4 - Kurvenvisier for Karabiner 98 (later designated Karabiner 98 a)
5 - Gewehr 98 Kurvenvisier for Patrone S, starting at 100 m (done about 1924-1933)
6 - Versions 5 with replaced curve pieces for Patrone sS
7 - Kurvenvisier K 98 k for Patrone sS
Karabiner 98b had the same barrel length and therefore sights as Gewehr 98.
Alas, we do not know the corresponding front sight heights, if changed at all.

Peelen

Thank you for your insight and I agree with it,except I did not know about (LEICHTES SPITZGESCHOSS) I had always believed that thing was for training only.As they say
live and learn Thanks
Sherryl

JPeelen: My notes show that of two Gew.98 with Kurvenvisier one had a height from bore to top of blade slightly less than 22 m/m, the other was a little more than 22. Average of the two was very close to the 22 m/m called for by Trotter. Two Gew.98 with Lange sight gave an average height of very nearly 21 m/m. Jack

Thank you for the data. That would be in agreement with the data from the dimensional table (for Lange Visier) and, as you note, from Trotter for the Kurvenvisier.