The M65 recoilless nuclear rifle (no less...)

Here’s a video on this gun and its ammo:

youtube.com/watch?v=khyZI3RK2lE

Cheers,

Schneider.

DrSchmittEOD has a nice CD that does an indepth look at the two (XM28 & SX29) Davy Crockett systems

If I remember right, it carried the same warhead that the previously discussed SADM did.

Thats right, the W54 device was used in it’s basic form; then modified for specific applications. In the Crocket system both light and heavy system refers to the weapons, not the warhead. Both used the same projectile but two different range capabilities. SADM was a very different application. Crockett we fired it at the target… SADM we physicaly carried it onto the target.

1SFG, Roger that. EOD had to concentrate on Render Safe Procedures (RSP’s) so we kinda lump systems together. By the way, I remember that we (The Corps) had Nuclear Ordnance Platoons. Knew a couple of the guys. Interesting stories.

Ever been to Indian Head or Redstone Arsenal?

Thank you for the comments. I would like to get a copy of the video from this post if you happen to know how to.

Dr.Schmitt do you mean off Youtube of the SADM? or the Crocket test “Ivy Flats”?

The youtube piece seems to be a History channel production. It may be from a larger product covering other weapons. The Davy part is what is of interest to me,especially the setting up of the weapon. The explosions are all pretty much alike. It seems that you have our Davy CD so you know that we try to bring in the fellows who actually used weapons as a tribute to them and to provide extra interest.

Yes Dr. Schmitt… I gave you information before for your CD. This may help you and others interested in these one of a kind weapons … people just do not have a clue as to how much over the years has been ask of young soldiers. The story of ordnance goes far beyond the simple cartridge.

About these nuclear films
by Kevin Hamilton
Explaining the presence of these films on Critical Commons

When it closed in 1969, the US Air Force’s Lookout Mountain Station in Hollywood, CA had in its possession over 6500 films. The unit produced these films largely as part of America’s nuclear weapons development programs. These films were produced for internal and external viewers, for purposes of science, education, and the pursuit of government appropriations.

Upon the lab’s closure, the films and archives went to the Department of Energy in Nevada, and eventually found their way to Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, where they reside at the DTRIAC facility. Under President Clinton, Energy Secretary Hazel O’Leary began a new process of declassification that led to the review of these films for release to the public. Before funding dried up for this effort in 2001, the declassification process reviewed and released 96 of these films, many of them formerly classified. They are now available by request from the Bechtel Corporation, who acts as a contractor to the DOE.

1SFG, Sent a PM in reply to your question.

Thank you. I should have remembered that but I am old which is my current excuse for everything. I think that I sent you a copy of the CD. If you ever find a way to latch onto some of that DAVY film I would like to add it to the product. Did I use some of your drawings of the spotter cartridges ?

Starting to come back to me. You sent me info as well about the Oriental deployment of the DAVY. Did I send you a copy of the finished product ?