The most important items in my collection

I was at my grandmothers house with my mom today. My dad wanted me to look for some scopes my grandmother had. I found one, but I found a few things that take the cake for my most important items. They are 3 .300 Wby Mag cases and 1 .348 Win case. 2 Weatherby cases are taped together, with “Elk+ deer 1989 Montana”. The other Weatherby case has a strip of tape on it saying " Elk Wy. 1988". The Winchester case has a strip of tape with “Bear” written on it. They may not sound like much, but they mean a lot to me. They are some of the only things left of my grandfather, as he died of Alzheimer’s when I was 6 in 2008. Just something to share.

While nothing is rare about your cartridge cases, treasure them! There is a personal attachment that transcends their interest and value to others. I have what I think could safely be called an advanced collection of .45 auto rounds. However, one of my most treasured items is an Evansville-Chrysler rusted-steel case .45 cartridge from WWII, just about the most common military .45 cartridge one could have, and rusted to boot. It is treasured because it was found at St. Mere Igles (I hope our French friends will forgive any lapse in spelling that), where a big battle took place during WWII, by a young friend of mine who was a Native of France and raised in Paris. While looking around the battle are, he noticed something sticking up out of the ground slightly. It turned out to be a Thompson Submachinegun with a few rounds left in it, that had been buried just below the surface since the War, at the time found for about 20 years. He came to wrl at the store where I was manager, and after we became friendly, he gave his "find’ to me as a gift. Since, he has passed away at too early an age.

Some things take on a personal importance far beyond their monetary value or general collector interest. You have a great catalyst there for remembering the hunting activities of your granddad. Congratulations on your find, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Sounds like your grandfather hunted a lot. Memories are very important, especially in later years. Keep those tags on. You may also look into a movie called “Still Alice”.

I often find empty cartridge cases while wandering the hills of Colorado. One or two empty cases in one spot to me means a head of big game had been taken while standing in this local. I stop and wonder who and what. Often the cases tell use some timelines but not always. I use older ammo in order to test the old bullet styles and leave every empty I fire at game on the ground where it fell for future woods wanderers to find. I harvested a bison in a part of Colorado known as a great bison area of the past. I used an original 1863-1868 Sharpes and an original 50-70 cartridge from the 1880’s. I left that case where it fell for future discovery. A knowledgeable person would assume it must have been used to hunt bison. It did, just 130 years after the evidence would lead you to believe.