The Prideaux Speedloader

I just saw this on Youtube, from the “Forgotten Weapons” contributor … these loaders are very hard to find, not quite unobtainium, but very nearly … it’s interesting to see a demonstration of how one works.

Prideaux

I subscribe to this contributor as he always has interesting things to show, done in an articulate and informed manner.

Pete

1 Like

Many years ago a gentleman claimed he hunted doves with a Webley Fosbery in .39 auto caliber and the “speedloader” possibly was a Prideaux extremely scarce but a good tale…
Anyhow he had some other extremely scarce handguns.

Cheers

A typo it is .38 auto

The Prideaux .455 Revolver Magazine (Prideaux’s name), Ian shows was on auction at Morphy’s a couple of days ago as Lot 1245. The estimate was $1,200 - $1,800 and it actually sold for $861. Here’s a pic,

Prideaux Loader

If you go to the lot, here, https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/A_RARE_PRIDEAUX_SPEEDLOADER_FOR_WEBLEY_FOSBERY_REV-LOT496332.aspx you can see several views of it.

Not really “unobtainium.” I have four different ones and will take some photos next week if there’s interest.

3 Likes

The speed loader for the 38 Webley Fosbery was not a Prideaux design but a flat full moon clip with arms radiating from the centre.
There was also a flat clip for the 455 WF.
The Prideaux works with the .455" Webley, WF, Colt ,S&W and also 455 Revolver OP No1 and 2.

Mel,
Yes post the photos no doubt they will be educational for several readers of this forum

Cheers

1 Like

Maybe not Unobtainium, but at $861… definitely Unaffordium.

Here’s the drawings from Prideaux’s US Patent application which differs quite markedly from the production item … however, a Patent is only for the design or design principles, it need not be an exact replication of the object itself, to avoid giving ideas to competitors;

Patent 1
Patent 2

Here’s a picture showing the loader disassembled, with rather a nifty fixture to show the operation of the cartridge retaining “fingers”;

Prideaux was a prolific inventor but his inspiration for his military designs, especially his early machine-gun links, sprang from his box latch;

Trench warfare on the Western Front had shown up how sensitive the Vickers gun was to the canvas belts then in use getting wet or soiled with mud (or worse) … hence the development of weather and grime proof metallic link belts.

Pete